Monday, July 26, 2010
I really can't believe that I turned 27 today. Last week I read a piece that Annie wrote about her birthday. She said that turning was such a scary and daunting word, so she was choosing to twirl into the next year of life this time. I like that. And today, I've been twirling. Really.
Today really has been one of the best days I've had in a long time. And that's saying something for a work day. People have come out of the wordworks to wish me a Happy Birthday (even ESPN!) and I have felt so very loved. I even got flowers at work which, if you are a single girl, you know is a gift from heaven.
I'm not so much of an attention person (secretly, I am) but today, I've chosen to sit back and let God rain down his love and mercy over me through his people.
It really makes me laugh, and brings me to my knees, to see how far God has brought me in the last 20 years.
Twenty years ago, I gave my life to Christ. He came into my heart and took away my sin.
Ten years ago, I found myself on my way to college and falling quickly in love with a boy I'd never thought I'd see in a "romantical" way. Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of who the most important person in my life was supposed to be. First it became the boy, then it became me. I had forgotten that God, while loving and merciful, was a jealous God. And he frankly wasn't going to take it anymore.
Five years ago, God moved me out of my comfort zone and started working in the deep down yucky parts of my heart. He started by proving his faithfulness to me through provision and then he got down and dirty. He's shattered me like a clay pot and has been meticulously (there's a five million dollar word for you) been putting me back together. Slowly but surely.
He placed people in my life that weren't only teaching me from His Word but challenging me to put those teachings into practice. And that group of people ranges from pastors to close friends.
I read somewhere, and I think it might have been Jon Acuff's twitter, the following question and I may have shared this before. Does God have the right to crack the vessel if breaking it is the fastest way to share with the world what he poured into it?
My answer is a resounding yes.
I think along the way, I've been giving God a little piece of my life here and a little piece there. Recently, I just dumped it all into his big hands because that's where it should have been in the first place. For what I believe is the first time in my life, I'm stepping out on faith and leaving the rest up to Him. He knows better than I anyway.
I'd say 26 was an okay year, not without it's trials and hurts but I learned a lot from it. I'd say it was my growing pain year. (Emphasis on the pain.) Do you remember when you were little and your bones and your muscles would ache? You complained to your parents and they would diagnose it as growing pains. It hurt, but you came out on the other end of it stronger and maybe (not me) taller than you were before.
I know that I've still got my fair share of pains to endure. We all do. And they won't stop until we have reached the end of this life. And if they do stop, that means we've stopped growing in our relationships with each other and Jesus Christ.
However, if today is any indication of what 27 is going to look like, I'm quite pumped, to put it plainly. I see a lot of big things coming my way. One huge change, but one that will put me right where I need to be -- in the center of God's will.
I plan to take a lot of risks. Live life a little louder. And hope to make a difference for the glory of God the Father, in one way or another, everyday.
I listened to Francis Chan's last sermon yesterday and he said this: "There will be no cowards in Heaven."
I hope that when I reach the place of judgment, God looks down at me and can say, "Well done", because I dared to live radically for His namesake.
Friday, July 23, 2010
P.S. Sorry for the complete lack of blogging. I spent all of last week (like Saturday to Saturday which hasn't happened in a while) at the beach and I'm still trying to crawl out from under my vacation hangover. But give me a few days and I'll give you a little peek at my cutie pie roommate, the thing I checked off of my bucket list and our kite-flying extraveganza.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Anyway, the message was about Jonah. A familiar story to everyone, yet I don't know that a lot of us really understand the story past Jonah getting swallowed up by a big fish. I know I didn't.
I feel like God has been calling me to make some grand and specific changes in my life for the good of His people all over the world and for the glory of His name. Yet, I've been running away and hiding because I really didn't understand why He wanted me to be involved. I didn't realize that it's not that he needs me, but that He wants me to see His glory just as much as those who don't know Him. Needless to say, God has completely burdened my heart, given me a sense of urgency and the confidence that I need to depend solely on Him for what my next step should be.If you have about 107 minutes to spare, please watch this video, or even go download the FREE podcast from iTunes. You won't regret it. If you don't want to spend 107 watching the video, at least watch the part from the 8:43 mark to 15:40 (the song was written by the people on the stage). It's great. Hilarious. Entertaining. And educational.
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
801. How often do you change you mood in a day?
I'm a girl. Answer that question for yourself.
802. When you ask people how they are doing, do you actually care about their answer or is it just being polite?
I think it depends on who the person is and in what context I'm asking. I've thought a lot about this recently, though.
803. Would you consider yourself to be very polite?
I would. Mama didn't raise no fool.
804. Do you like movies and books that involve nuclear holocaust?
Um. I don't know.
805. Have you ever had a lucid dream (a dream in which you knew you were dreaming and had complete control over what happened in the dream)?
806. Have you ever had a flying dream?
807. Have you ever had a lucid flying dream?
808. What's the oddest law you ever heard of?
You can't chew gum in Singapore.
809. What is the ultimate way to connect with another person?
humility and honesty
810. Can you be intimate with someone without touching him or her?
811. Can men and women ever really be 'just friends' with no interest in anything more?
I'm going to tell you that this is a limbo questions for me. I have two guys friends who I consider best friends. One married, one single. One who has professed his love for me and been rejected. And I am still very close with them, despite the wife and the rejection. I think if you can be a grown-up about it and if his girlfriend/wife can be grown-up about it and confident in her relationship with that guy, then yes, it is possible.
813. Are you addicted to this survey like drugs?
814. If your signifigant other wanted to wait for marriage could you hold out or would you leave them (or would you cheat)?
815. What's the longest sentence you can make using only words that start with the same letter as your first name?
My brain capacity right now could not even attempt what you ask.
816. If you had a theme song what would it be?
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" or "Jesus Will Still Be There"
817. Are you cranky?
See answer to question 801.
818. Which group generally annoys you more, people older than you, or people younger than you?
I'd say neither. It's not an issue of age. It's an issue of knowing how to act.
819. Do you refer to older people as old farts?
820. Do you refer to younger people as the kids?
821. Which is better: Poems that everyone can relate to or poems that are intensely personal to the author?
I think poems that are intensely personal to the author can relate to everyone. We all feel the same feelings at one point or the other.
822. Is it worse to be too hot or too cold?
I had this discussion in college once. You can freeze to death probably easier than you can die from the heat. At least if you stay still. However, you can always put more clothes on. You can never take enough off.
823. Are you so flexible that you can put your feet behind your head?
Back in the day I was. Not so much anymore.
824. Would you enjoy reading fairy tales written about robots?
Not really. I'm more of a prince saves damsel in distress kind of girl.
825. Is smoking a turn on or gross?
826. What is the one way you wouldn't want to die?
Drowning or burning up. I'm not a fan of the struggle.
827. Which would look sillier on you: A cowboy hat or a Rasta hat?
Ironically, a rasta hat. I say ironically because I'm not a big fan of the cowboy hat.
828. Would you rather have a job doing something indoors or outdoors?
If I could get paid what i get paid right now and be a lifeguard (outside) for the rest of my life, I would do it in a heartbeat.
829. Would you rather learn more about human nutrition or meteorology?
830. Have you ever taken honors courses?
Yes. Honors and AP classes all through middle and high school.
831. What do you think of crop circles?
They are neat to look at.
832. Where do they come from?
The aliens. Right?
833. When was the last time you screwed up big time?
Oh wow. I screw up big time on a weekly basis. I think the one that sticks in my mind though happend about five years ago.
834. You have a choice. What do you eat: A veggie burger, A turkey dog, A cheese sandwich
Veggie burger. They aren't so bad.
835. Do you get a lot of random instant messages?
Back in college I did. I don't instant message much anymore.
836. Do you have a paper journal also?
I have a lot of random notebooks that I jot things down in. No certain journal though.
837. VHS or DVD?
Well, I guess since we are in the 21st century now, I'd say DVD.
838. Vinyl, cassette tape, or CD?
iTunes. Ha. I guess CD although, vinyl is still so cool and classic to me.
839. Have you ever seen the video/heard the song Days Go By, performed by Dirty Vegas?
840. MTV: should it play more videos or more shows?
More videos. The crap on there now is ridiculous.
841. Name a band:Do fans of that band tend to share any characteristics with each other?
Dave Matthews Band. Yes. I'd say the majority (and I include myself in that majority) are preppy/coolish college kids who like a cool sound.
842. What does the expression 'touch and go' mean?
Up and down. Good one minute, no good the next.
843. Caffeine or alcohol?
844. Betty or Veronica? Archie or Reggie or Jughead?
Since I don't know much about the comic, I will say no comment.
845. What book are you reading right now?
The DaVinci Code. Right now, the movie is better.
846. Is the news too depressing?
I wouldn't say depressing. It's more angering to me because I see so much stuff that could be fixed and politics is getting in the way. I can't even watch anything about the oil spill anymore.
847. Would you rather have a stuffed lion, elephant, pig or duck?
848. Are you late for a very important date?
Truthfully, I'm late in life. But I think the whole thing about timing in life is that whether you are early or late by the world's standards, you are right on time by God's standards.
849. Ever use star 69?
I think I did once in eighth grade.
850. Is everyone as smart as you?
No. A lot of people are smarter and I'm sure there are a few people not as smart.
851. Have you ever seen the musical Annie?
Yes. Would you like me to quote it for you?
852. Sheets: silk or satin?
Neither. I'm a cotton girl.
853. Bath: soap or bubbles?
854. Your best color: blue or red?
855. What's your favorite candy?
Sour gummy worms
856. Can you sing?
857. It's the end of the world, as we know it. How do you feel?
858. You take your little sister (she's 12) shopping for school clothes. Mom gave you the money to hold. She picks out a skimpy top emblazoned "Hottie" and hip-hugging pants that leave at least two inches of skin north and south of her navel exposed to the wind. She insists: If she doesn't have these clothes, she'll look awful, the other kids will tease her, and she’ll feel like a nerd.Do you think she should or should not wear these clothes?Do you buy them for her?
No, she shouldn't wear them. And no, I won't buy them.
859. What do you think is the most annoying cliché?
"That's like comparing apples and oranges."
860. What band is underground right now but will one day get really popular?
I wholeheartedly believe that Dave Barnes is about to take over the music world.
861. Of the following which word best describes you: versatile (flexible), wonderful, extra-special, your own best friend, zany:
862. What does BYOB stand for?
Bring your own bible. Duh.
863. Who is sexiest: Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Elvis, Jim Morrison, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper?
864. Do you always do what's expected of you?
No. Not always. But most of the time.
865. Do you believe everything you hear on the news?
866. Would you prefer a $100.00 gift certificate to Hot Topic or Abercrombie & Fitch (assuming neither store gives change, so you'll have to spend the whole thing)?
Abercombie & Fitch, I guess. I'd have to become an anorexic though.
867. Have you ever won a competition?
I was the hula hoop champ of my youth group one time.
868. Who looks sloppier when they are over weight, guys or girls?
It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with how you present yourself.
869. At what age do you become all grown up?
Again, age has nothing to do with it. But legally, 21.
870. Have you ever written graffiti on anything?
Yes, I painted my name on the street when I was a senior in high school. It's a tradition.
871. Can you remember what you wrote?
Katie. In blue paint outlined in red.
872. Are you a force of nature?
873. What do you think of blue eye shadow? How about gold eye shadow?
I think they are both fine in moderation.
874. Would you ever wear any of the following Halloween costumes: Flapper? Hippie? Disco dancer?
Yes. Yes. And Yes.
875. Should birth control be taught in high school? How about in jr. high or elementary school?
At a different degree at each level? Sure. But it's really something a child should learn at home.
876. Would you consider yourself a genius?
Some days I do.
877. What did you think of the movie Solaris?
Never saw it.
878. Which is usually better movies or books?
879. Do you think The Hobbit will be made into a movie?
880. Do you research which brands use sweatshops to make their clothing before you shop?
881. What gives you a magical feeling?
882. Have you ever pulled apart a Christmas cracker?
I don't even know what that is.
883. Would you rather watch basketball or play basketball?
I think the world would rather me watch basketball than play basketball.
884. Do you think that everyone makes his or her own problems?
No. I think a lot of people have problems through no fault of their own.
885. Do you often consider how your actions will affect other people?
More now than ever.
886. Are J-Lo and Ben Afleck interesting to you at all?
Not really. And this must be an old survey. Bennifer broke up a long time ago.
887. Do you use bad grammar or hate bad grammar?
I LOATHE bad grammar.
888. Make up a tabloid headline:
England hires chimp as new national (futbol) team coach
889. Do you like to learn new things?
Surprisingly, I love learning new things.
890. What's more important, fame or personal accomplishment?
891. Sweet dreams are made of this....What are they made of?
892. Two trailer park girls go round the outside...Round the outside of what?
That's for Eminem to know and you to find out.
893. Are you wearing a piece of jewelry that means a lot to you right now?
894. If someone was going to inscribe a message on a ring and give it to you what would you want it to say?
I would want it to say what they want it to say.
895. Guys who are losing their hair: Should they shave their heads? Get implants? Or let it go?
If they are young, shave it. Older, let it go.
896. Do rock stars work hard or lead the easy life?
897. How much water do you drink every day?
Not as much as I should.
898. Are you driven or kinda apathetic?
I've been kinda apathetic. I'm driven now.
899. Who do you turn to when you are down?
God, my parents, my sister.
900. Would you ever wear seran-wrap?