Thursday, July 30, 2009

Are You Tired God? It's me, Katie...again.

This post of John's from Stuff Christians Like completely touched my heart yesterday that I couldn't help but not share the wealth. (P.S. You're totally going to need to go ahead and click on that link there and just read all about it. The rest of this post may not make much sense if you don't.)

Have you ever felt like God gets tired of hearing the same old thing from you? Have you ever thought that may God cringes when you come to him and ask him to explain things to you over and over and over again?

I do.

And I definitely have recently.

There are so many lessons that we sometimes have to learn over and over and over again before we finally get what God is trying to teach us.

There are also so many things in life that we don't understand at all so we constantly approach God, sometimes in a not-so-humble way, and ask him to tell. us. what's. going. on. already.

I know I have. I did it just the other night.

There are so many things in life that I can totally give up to the Lord, no questions asked. I've slowly become one of those "God's got it all under control" people. You definitely know that if you know me personally or read pretty much anything I write. I'm very quick to bring all back to that point when everything seems to start going downhill.

I'm not much of a worrier. I know where my future lies and I know that there's not much I can do to change it's path in the grand scheme of things.

However, being a single girl of (now) 26 years of age, I can't seem to let go of the one thing that I seem to think I can control. The singleness. (Duhn duhn duhn. I know. It sounds like THE PLAGUE!)

No matter how much I pray or other people pray or how many times I say that I know He's got it all under control, I'm still such an indian giver.

It's like I'm all:

"Here ya go, God. I'm pretty sick of dealing with this so you can go ahead and take."

And then God's all like:

"Yeah, I got it Katie. I mean, it's not like I've been standing right here all along with my hands out ready to receive it or anything."

And then like a week later, I'm all like:

"Um, God. I think I want that problem back now. I'm pretty sure I can handle it now. See there's this guy. And he's pretty cool. And I think he's kinda into me and everything. So...I think I'll take it from here."

And before God can answer me back and tell me how completely wrong I am (again) and that he's got it covered (againa), I snatch it away from him. What. is. my. malfunction! Right?!?!

Then I'm struggling with all these other problems: too old, too young. too tall, too short. too good, too bad. too nice, too mean. too worried about what other people think. has no manners whatsoever. way too into sports (I know totally impossible, right? completely possible, people.). not into sports enough. blah. blah. blah.

Then God smacks me in the head and I realize that if I'd just let God take that little problem and fix it for me, I wouldn't be so stressed out about it.

Besides, it's for my own good. If I'm preoccupied with stuff like that, I don't have time to think about and enjoy the things that God wants me to think about and enjoy. Like Him. And everything that has to do with him. His glory. His creation. His people. His daily gifts and new mercies.

So, I think that I'm going to stop indian giving and try the whole giving-it-up-fully-with-a-humble-heart thing. And see how it goes. My magic 8-ball says outlook is good.

What do you need to stop indian giving?

No comments:

Post a Comment