Wednesday, April 13, 2011

American Idol - Top 8

I still can't believe Pia's gone but if anyone is going to have success after this show, it will be Pia.

It's movie night. Let's roll...

Paul McDonald - "Old Time Rock & Roll"
I give Paul an A- and the saxophone player a C+. I coulda done without her. But Paul's performance was good. I feel like Paul is coming into his own now and, no pun intended with the suit, but his flower is starting to bloom a little. (Yikes) I think we've always known that Paul is talented in the singer/songwriter area but he's really becoming a performer now. He's becoming a contender.

(P.S. Can we get Steven Tyler to say something negative? At all? I mean even like, "I don't like that color red on you"? Anything?)

Lauren Alaina - (I bet she does "The Climb")
What did I say? Nice play on words, Seacrest. This was great. I loved it. It was so much better than the Miley Cyrus version where Miley just YELLS THE LYRICS AT YOU! Lauren Alaina sings so effortlessly (like Pia does) and I really think she's finding herself again.

(P.P.S. I kinda love Will.I.Am on the mentor sessions with the contestants. He's weird on the stage, but he's funny and very knowledgeable.)

Stefano Langone - "End Of The Road"
Not only is Stefano my all-time favorite Idol contestant (bold claim there), this is one of my all-time favorite songs. This Boyz II Men classy and I go all the way back to my hand-me-down stereo and my old room at the Old Spanish Trail house. But I digress.

Y'all I really don't need to tell you what I think about Stefano's performance because no matter what the judges think about Stefano's performance, I'm slightly biased, and Stefano can do no wrong tonight. So (insert unbiased commentary here).

(And he's dressed like a member of Boyz II Men.)

Scotty McCreery - "I Cross My Heart"
This song was in my big piano book of movie songs. Ok, I think Scotty's going to have a great career as a country music artist. People love him already and country music fans are the most loyal fans around. However, I didn't like this performance very much. It may have been more of the Loudy McLoudersons that he had as BGVs. I did really like the bridge and I did feel like this was his least cheesy performance on the show, but it wasn't really my fave. Also, we need to stop the whole "I wanna hold the mic with two hands but that's kinda girly so I'll just prop it up on the side" deal. It's almost as distracting as Christina Aguilera's finger waves.

Casey Abrams - "Nature Boy"
Ok, Jimmy Iovine has a point. The reason he is there is to help because contestants on this show need guidance. No question about it. I liked Casey's performance. Like I said last week, and like Forrest Gump said circa 1995, he's like a box of chocolates. You never know what your gonna get.And y'all, the runs at the end? And the off note at the end? This guy has some kind of talent that a lot of people just don't appreciate. I usually like Casey because I like that quirkiness. Will the rest of voting America like Casey tonight? Probably not. But he just got a standing ovation from the judges and that proves that sometimes, even most of the time, you have to shut out the white noise (in this case Jimmy Iovine) and just go with your gut.

Haley Reinhart - "Call Me"
This is hard for me because I think Haley is the weakest person left in the competition but I feel like she is such a unique talent and performer that people should see her more. I just liked the performance this week, didn't love it. There were bright and shiny spots in the performance but there were also a lot of "yikes" spots too. I don't know that she's strong enough to stay in the competition, especially if Stefano's performance went over as well as everyone thinks it did.

(J-Lo made a great point though when she said that it's hard to say anything negative this season because everyone is so good. I think this is the strongest season of AI since Carrie Underwood's season.)

Jacob Lusk - "Bridge Over Trouble Water"
Jacob just took AI to CHURCH, y'all. To CHURCH! Steven Tyler took the words right off of my computer screen when he said that it's astounding how much of Jacob that Jacob pours into his performances. And that's what "taking it to church" means. Nestling right down in the gritty parts of songs and bring them out and slaying them that the person listening to it has a spiritual experience with the song. Singing the song so hard with emotion that the person on the very back row feels that emotion as much if not more than you do. Jacob did that tonight.

James Durbin - "Heavy Metal"
This was a great way to end the show. James Durbin is bringing heavy metal back. The kid is growing on me, y'all. Yelly McScreamy is growing on me. Dang it.

Best of the night: James and Stefano
Worst of the night: Haley
May end up in the bottom three: Haley, Paul, Casey (please just give Stefano a break America!)
Probably going home: Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment