Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Birthday Fit For A Queen

Ok...so if you know me very well, you know that I'm pretty obsessed with the Royal Family/The Windsors/Princess Diana. I've had this obsession every since I was little. My sister and I share this obsession and I'm pretty sure that she fueled my obsession as well.

Knowing that, you can image the excitement that has built up inside of me for weeks now, since I heard that Princes William and Harry were organizing a concert to celebrate the life of their mother on what would have been her 46th birthday. Today, VH1 showed a live broadcast of the concert held at Wembley Stadium. All the proceeds from the concert will be divided among a charity that Diana was closely involved with and two other charities that Wills and Harry sponsor. I think this had to be one of the coolest things that has ever been broadcasted on television. The positive energy from the crowd at Wembley seemed to seep through the television and permeate in the air in my lovely Homewood abode. Ha! I think my favorite part was either the Andrew Lloyd Webber tribute, which included a review of some of his most famous songs, or when P. Diddy performed "Missing you". I'm not a big fan of the "P", but I absolutely L-O-V-E that song, remixed. I also loved the ending when Nelson Mandela spoke about her and they showed home video from when she was a child. That was neat!

Anyway, as I sat there watching the celebration, I couldn't believe how many people had been personally touched by Diana. She not only left her mark on the world, but more importantly, she left her mark on individuals, AND she taught her sons how to be real people as well as what was most important in life. Now, her legacy lives on through them.

One of the VH1 VJs made a good point at the end of the show, saying that Wills and Harry are definitely standing out above all other royals in the world because of their involvement with charities and other causes at their young age. She said that most royal don't even step out on the scene until they are 30 or older. These 20-somethings have spent the better part of their young years giving back to those less fortunate and it's not because they HAVE to -- it's because they WANT to. It's been instilled in them by their mother. There were very few times in which Diana was featured in the media that she wasn't doing something with a charity. Although, her life was surrounded by scandal, depression, and even her own love affair, the Princess of Wales is not remember for that. She's remembered for the way that she stepped out into the community like no other Windsor has, while sometimes looked down on by the Queen because of it.

The Princess definitely had her heart in the right place, and I'm sure she is being rewarded for it now. I can only hope that she is. I pray that she was a child of God.

I now leave you with some of my favorite shots of "Di" and the princes.

One of my favorite shots of Diana. Classic!


How beautiful!?!?!?!


Gotta love a man in uniform!!!


The Princes at the interview with Matt Lauer about the concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment