Monday, July 2, 2007

Happy Birthday Papaw!

Today would have my Papaw's birthday. For those of you who don't know, Papaw went to heaven this past March. It was a tough time for our family, especially my daddy, but it was definitely a blessing in disguise. My dad was pretty much taking care of my Papaw because it was too much for my Grandma to handle. He was just too old, and was losing his mind and all sense of how to do things. My dad was having to go bathe him and make him eat and take medicine. And finally, one morning, the Lord decided that it was time for him to come home, and he took him in his sleep.

As my mom said, "What a way to go! You go to sleep and wake up in heaven! What a blessing!"

My Papaw was the best Papaw there ever was. I can still remember our trips to the zoo, the Swinging Bridge in Byram, Miss., and the trips to the convenience store to get junk food when he would pick us up from school sometimes.

Not only that, but he had the coolest knick-knacks and collections. When he died, my dad found a suitcase full of coins and paper money from all the countries that he had been to. There was money in there that wasn't even being printed anymore.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to my Papaw and that I miss him very much!

Here's a sweet pic of Grandma and Papaw taken at our church about 6 or 7 years ago. It's the last picture they had taken together.

2 comments:

  1. makes me a little teary eyed because i can very much relate! my dada's birthday is also this month and he passed away this past november. my grandmother, dad, and uncle had basically become his caretakers. i bet our dads can truly relate to the experience. God bless you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey katie!!! i found your blog through laura tomlinson's. i was a KD with you at state--which seems like FOREVER ago, but it really wasn't. it's been so fun reconnecting with so many people through blogs. i'll be checking back!

    jenny manning holloway

    ReplyDelete