Wednesday, March 2, 2011

American Idol: Top 12 Girls

1. Ta-tynisa Wilson - "Only Girl In The World"
Y'all, the music is just a tad LOUD, don'tcha think? Her notes weren't really hitting for me and it took a little while for her to show some originality. She did towards the end. It was a good way to open the show. She definitely played to the crowd but I think maybe that was the best part of it.

2. Naima Adedapo - "Summertime"
This a bold choice of song considering that this song basically belongs to Fantasia in the realm of American Idol. I liked the arrangement she used and it sounded good. There were a few spots that she didn't hit just right and then there was the one time she turned her back to the audience to walk back up the steps and I heard my mom circa 1999 in musical practice yelling,"NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO THE AUDIENCE! NEVER!" Anyhoo, I do like her sound. It was a little "lounge-acty" as Randy said, but I totally think that's her vibe. I haven't been a big fan of Naima but she might just be growing on me.

3. Kendra Chantelle - "Impossible"
Y'all, that white girl just pulled off some Christina Aguilera. I think Randy and I are using the same brain tonight because I definitely just said she has a little Lauryn Hill sound. Kendra is good. Is she the American Idol? I don't think so but I see her staying around for a while.

4. Rachel Zevita - "Criminal"
Wow. This is a completely original take on a Fiona Apple song. I'm not sure how it went off. The audience seemed to like it. It was bold. And yes, it was a little show girl-y. I don't know that it really worked for the show.

5. Karen Rodriguez - "Hero"
Pageant. Karen Rodriguez is on the wrong show. Miss America was back in January and Karen, you might have given Miss Arkansas and her dummies a run for their money. Karen Rodriguez can sing. No doubt. However, the whole bilingual thing turned me off a little bit because it's um...AMERICAN Idol. With that said, though, she made it her own. It was one of a kind.

6. Lauren Turner - "Seven Day Fool"
Homegirl can sing. I loved this performance. She turned it around for me. A breath of fresh air, she was.

7. Ashthon Jones - "Love All Over Me"
This girl is a diva. She's got mad confidence. And if Destiny's Child decided to give it another go 'round, this girl would fit right in. She was good, and considering that I've never heard this song, it was as original as you can get in my book. The judges say she's Diana Ross confidence. I believe she could be the lost Knowles sister.

8. Julie Zorrilla - "Breakaway"
I really didn't like this song for her. I think she strayed too far away from the melody for me. I truly think she can sing because she rocked Hollywood week, but this song did not show it off. I think she tried to over do it.

9. Haley Reinhart - "Fallin'"
I love the sound of this girl's voice. She's so soulful. And at the same time, I think she has musical bipolar syndrome. That's when someone seems one way and then they are handed a mic and told to sing and they become this completely different person. Randy and I are not using the same brain anymore. I loved this. I think Randy feels a little pressure to be the hard judge because he knows that neither Steven nor J-Lo are going to say anything remotely negative.

10. Thia Megia - "Out Here On My Own"
Y'all, I couldn't even type during this performance, I was so captivated. From the first note, I was. That was incredibly brave and incredibly good. Pitch-perfect. I have nothing more to say.

11. Lauren Alaina - "Turn On The Radio"
This girl will be a country music star in a year and she will be successful. Why? Because country music fans are some of the most loyal fans in the world. There's nothing more to say than she can sing. It's natural and effortless. For realz. And she's got the "it" factor.

12. Pia Toscano - "I'll Stand By You"
One of the best vocals tonight. I was afraid for her to follow Thia and Lauren but seriously, the bottom of the order ripped back-to-back home runs. Completely deserving of a standing ovation. She worried me at the beginning but busted it at the end.

Best of the night: Thia, Lauren Alaina and Pia
Worst of the night: Rachel

What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment