Wednesday, March 16, 2011

American Idol - Top 12

I promise one day I'm going to write about actual life on this here blog one day soon, but for now, I'll just keep to my couch-potato judging ways.

Naima Adedapo - "What's Love Got To Do With It"
I didn't think that warranted a standing ovation but it was just okay for me. (I wish Steven could be mean, just once.) It was very pitchy. (Thanks, J-Lo.) She's definitely a good entertainer. But she's got some work to do when it comes to the actual singing part. Her pitch is off. I think if she gets that, I might like her a little more.

Paul McDonald - "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blue"
This makes me sad. I didn't really know how this song would go off with him and I didn't really like it much. I just don't think it was the right song. I still love his voice and his charisma. He definitely made it sound original but I just don't think it was his best performance.

Thia Megia - "Colors Of The Wind"
I think this song was perfect for her because she fits the Disney pop princess mold to a T. She's got an incredible voice for a 16 year old. And she wrote her first song at 6? I wrote a song when I was 8 but it wasn't as good as that one. And I kind of ripped off "White Christmas" too. However, I'm a little concerned that she doesn't really know what type of artist she is (ballads) and I'm also concerned that she's losing her luster a little.

James Durbin - "I'll Be There For You"
The first line of this was kind of horrible but he totally redeemed himself afterwards. This was the first GOOD performance of the night. He's a great performer and this definitely the genre of music for him. But we've always known that. He's going to be one of those that will always put his spin on a song . And that's good for someone like him. He's growing on me.

Hailey Reinhart - I'm Your Baby Tonight"
When I heard she was doing Whitney Houston, I was hoping she would pick this song. It's not as well known as the others so she doesn't have so much to live up to but it's a different vibe for her. I thought this was great and I thought it was her best performance since she's been on this stage. She definitely brought originality to the song with the awesome bluesy-jazzy tone of her voice. She really relaxed up there and kind of rocked it, and I was glad to see this side of her. Good job. She also looked fantastic (except did anyone else catch that she had a spot of lipstick on her chin and her cheek where she must've rubbed the microphone over it? Ha. And now that Ryan pointed out, I guess you did.).

Stefano Langone - "If You Don't Know Me Be Know"
Stefano, I feel, has incredible pitch. The kid could sing the ABC song and it was sell records. He is mad talented and feels every single word he is singing. I definitely agree that this was the best performance of the night so far. It was a hard song for someone to sing because of many different reason, two of which are that it's iconic and two because it has the potential to be slow and boring. Stefano put so much soul into that and I expect nothing less. He's still my second favorite boy in this competition.

Pia Toscano - "Where Do Broken Hearts Go"
Y'all, PIa Toscano has come out of nowhere and has become a front-runner of this competition. I was glad this wasn't another ballad and I was a little worried when she said she was doing this song. But she nailed it. Nailed. It.

Scott McCreery - "Can I Trust You With My Heart"
This was a great performance by Scotty. He knows who he his and where he wants to go with it. Nothing more to say except the girls really like him.

Karen Rodriguez - "Love Will Lead You Back"
This is the first night that she looks like an actual performer and not a pageant contestant. I believed her as an artist tonight for the first time. I feel like her voice is still one of the weaker ones in the competition. I want to believe that she has more power in that voice of her but every time she gets to a powerful peak in her voice, she doesn't go with it. She falls back on it. But it was a great performance.

Casey Abrams - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
This was a gutsy move for Casey Abrams. He either just gained a lot of fans or lots a lot. I loved this performance. It's one-of-a-kind for this show. I think he killed it.

Lauren Alaina - "I'm The Only One"
REDEMPTION. This was the perfect song for her and for someone who is battling the flu, she killed it. SO GOOD.

Jacob Lusk - "Alone"
I really thought he would kill this. And some people probably thought he did. I feel like he was sharp throughout a lot of this performance. He's got to tone it down a little because when he over-sings is where he really starts to get sharp. He's still great and I love the way he pours his soul into every song he sings. That's what a gospel singer does. But I don't think it was his best. still better than "I Believe I Can Fly".

Best of the night: Stefano and Lauren Alaina
Worst of the night: Paul and Karen
In Jeopardy: Paul because I don't how many people he's connecting with and Karen because I don't think she has stepped it up as much as everyone else has. I mean who would you send home over her?

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment