Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Top 11...Again

Y'all, I was about to throw my TV out the window when they said Casey had been voted off. But then I thought about who bought that TV and I heard the judges say that they were going to use the save. And all was right with the world again.

This week two go. I don't know that I can take it. Last week was one of the best Top 11 shows in the history of AI.

Let's see what happens.

(BTW, what is with Seacrest's hair. He sort of looks like Leonardo DiCaprio from Catch Me If You Can.)

Scotty McCreery - "Country Comfort"
I was a little worried about this one because well, Elton John and country music aren't very "alike" terms. However, Scotty did his thang again. When Jimmy Iovine said in the intro that he was worried that Scotty would become a one-trick pony, I had to agree. But then he said that it was the be one trick he's seen from a 17-year old, and I had to second that as well. The thing I like about Scotty is that he knows who he is and you always know what you are going to get from him. This could come back and bite him in the long run but for now, I think it's working for him. And wow, at the low note at the end. I also loved him and the guitar.

Naima Adedapo - "I'm Still Standing"
This is the first performance of Naima's that I have actually liked. The arrangement was kinda brilliant. There's still something about her that I just can't connect to and I still think that she's one of the weaker ones on the show but, I liked it.

(The judges didn't love it, though. I guess I just like reggae then.)

Paul McDonald - "Rocket Man"
Somehow I knew Paul would do this song. I loved the verse but when he hit the chorus it was kind of all over the place. He reined it in and got it back towards the bridge and I liked the ending, but I don't know. I don't know that it's going to hurt him this week but he probably should have a great week next week if he wants to stay in it.

Pia Toscano - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"
She is incredible. This was brilliant. And even though it was another ballad, it was a soulful change and I loved it. But next week? Give me an upbeat number, puh-puh-puh please?!?

(P.S. Steven just said something about the notes that she chose to sing in that song. He was right. It couldn't have been more perfect and it might have been better than the original IMO.)

Stefano Langone - "Tiny Dancer"
I love this song. I love him. I don't know what it was about the audience -- I guess they were mesmerized because they reacted afterward. He sang it brilliantly. We all know he sings brilliantly. I think it was a good moment for him after last week. I hope people go vote for him because he deserves to be there for a few more weeks.

Lauren Alaina - "Candle In The Wind"
This was incredible and I think she just had an AI moment on that stage just now. She looked like a pro. Lauren reminds me of Natalie, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks (who were my favorite group until they got on their political high horse). She's got this originality to her country voice, something that you don't find much of in country music. This was the perfect song for her. She killed it, IMO.

James Durbin - "Saturday Night's Alright"
When I heard this song in the open of the show, I knew that James would be the one to do it. And y'all, I loved it. I don't usually love Yelly McScreamy performances (a la Adam Lambert) but I was very much entertained with this one. It was one of his best performances, maybe his best. And Randy made a good point that he comes out and enjoys himself on stage which makes the audience enjoy the performance that much more.

Thia Megia - "Daniel"
I think she accomplished what she wanted with this song. I felt her heart when she was singing this song and it wasn't a drama performance like her last weeks have been. She is such a good singer for 17 years old. The song was really good for her too. Randy's right. It was still a little safe. I just wish she would do something FUN!

Casey Abrams - "Your Song"
Redemption. This song was redemption for Casey. This performance showed everything that we have come to love about Casey. The soft, sweet side for most of the song and the gritty soul towards the end. This was a great change from the past week. Perfection.

Jacob Lusk - "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word"
Jimmy Iovine was right. This could've been over-dramatized to the nth degree by Jacob but I really felt like he kept it under control. We all know Jacob can sing a heartfelt ballad by now. Now, he's got to figure out another way to get to us. This is a good performance, just not great for me. Would've been a good way to end the show, though.

Haley Reinhardt - "Bennie And The Jets"
I've called a lot of these songs for these people and I called this one for Haley. I really liked how she did this. It started out a little iffy for me but she rocked it at the end, man. I was head-banging and nose-scrunching along with J-Lo. I think this was one of her best performances, maybe her best since she been on this stage. I really did all come together tonight for her. I'm glad for her.

Y'all, this week is going to be HARD! Every single person did a really good job.

Best of the night: Haley, Lauren and James
Worst of the night: Paul and Naima
Probably in trouble: Paul, Naima and (ouch!) Stefano

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment