Sunday, November 25, 2007

My Heart Is In Africa

I'm so glad that God led me to Birmingham. I really think that God has designed my path through Birmingham for me to really get a grasp of what I'm here on Earth for and what my life is all about. I attend an amazing church led my an amazing young preacher with a heart for the nations.

I've definitely had a heart for missions since I was a teenager but I never have had the direction to do what I'm called to do, which is make his glory known in Birmingham and throughout the world by making disciples and sharing the gospel with as many people as I can.

For a while now, I have wanted to go to Africa. Last summer, I wasn't able to go to Africa but I did go to Honduras and got a glimpse of the needs that are out there. This summer I'm hoping to go to Africa. There are several avenues through which I can go, so right now I'm just trying figure out which avenue is best for me.

Anyway, I say all that to say this. Today at church, we had the most amazing service. We had a presentation from World Help, an organization that exists to fulfill the Great Commission and the Great Commandment through partnering, training, helping and serving, especially in the unreached areas of the world. They also have a foundation called Children of Hope where you can sponsor a child. World Help works mostly with areas in sub-Saharan Africa, trying to raise awareness and garner support for the HIV/AIDS epidemic that has taken its toll on Africa and affected on more than 15 million children.

Here are some facts about the World Help and the way that AIDS is affecting Africa:
- 15 million children have been orphaned by AIDS, a number that is expected to increase to 40 million by 2010. Every 14 seconds, a child is orphaned by AIDS in Africa.
- A monthly sponsorship gift of $30 provides food, clothing, education, and most importantly, a Christ-centered focus in a child's life.
- $25,000 provides one home to impact 12 orphans.
- $50,000 provides two homes to impact 24 orphans.
- $100,000 provides an entire Village of Hope to impact 48 orphans.
- Evangelical Christians are the least likely to aid efforts like these and only 3% said they would give to an organization like World Help.

Our worship today was led by the Children of the World choir, who not only were precious, but the choir was made up of about 15 orphans from several different countries. One young boy was from Uganda. His family had to leave Uganda and live in a refugee camp. Every child knows Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior and that says a lot about this organization considering where thy come from. That shows that World Help is not just about helping these countries. It's about first and foremost winning people over for the sake of Christ and his desire for the world.


I encourage everyone to go check out the website. Get involved with this organization in some way. Get involved in any organization like this. Here a list of others:

- Invisible Children
- Blood:Water Mission
- Mocha Club
- Save Darfur

I know there are so many more out there. Get involved. Do something. If we don't, who will?

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

1 comment:

  1. hey girl!
    how are you?
    what are you doing these days?

    so i guess you're done with state now, huh? i'm not at school there anymore..i'm playing in a band and i'm not home too often.
    hows your family? i heard anna had a baby. that's awesome!
    let me know how you are girl!

    ReplyDelete