Thursday, January 17, 2008

Christmas Wrap-Up....Finally

So almost a month later, I'm getting to my Christmas wrap-up. I love working at a university because I'm pretty much on the same schedule as the students. Well...maybe not. There are many days that the whole university gets off that I don't get off just because I work in athletics, but Christmas is a different story. And because I don't have winter sports, I got 12 days off! 12 days! I was so excited! So Dec. 21, I packed up and headed to Madison to spend 12 days with the fam.

Christmas was no different this year than most, except for the fact that we have a brand new baby in our family, William Charles Johnson. He's my mom and dad's first grandchild, my mom's mom's eighth great-grandchild, my dad's mom's third, and my brother-in-law's parent's third grandchild. And he's precious. Take a look.


This is also the first Christmas without my Papaw so that was kind of tough. On top of that, we've had some issues with my dad's sister and my mom's mom was put in the hospital early Christmas morning. She out now and doing better and hopefully she will be well enough soon to go back home to her apartment.

Two of my best friends got engaged over Christmas as well.

Lauren, or LB, has been my best friend since we were like 2. Our moms taught together and we attached at the hip for so long. Her mom died from breast cancer when we were in the eighth grade and a year later her dad got remarried and they moved away. We lost touch with each other and by the grace of God we found each other my junior year at State and picked up where we left off. She's marrying Joey, a guy who we've known forever. We all were in the same class in first and second grade and then he moved to a different school. A little over two years ago, Lauren and Joey met again and have never spent a day apart (well maybe a few). I'm so excited for LB. I can't contain myself. We've talked about this day for years and now it will come true on April 12th. Since I don't have any recent pictures of us on my computer, I'll share and old school one from my four-year-old birthday party.


Casey and I have been best friends since my senior year of college. We meet my junior year in Rick's Rowdies and grew closer as we were given the job of co-presidents of the Rowdies my senior year. We've had some interesting times together -- roaming the streets of New Orleans, running in to MSU basketball coaches on Bourbon Street and then following those coaches back to what we though was our hotel (which was right next to the team's hotel) and ended up at Harrah's, treks to Birmingham, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge and Nashville for ball games, Dave Barnes/Andy Davis concerts, and numerous random nights in Jackson. I don't know what I did before I met Casey. I was probably not as outgoing. I'm so glad that a year ago Dane walked into GAP and then in again the next day and the next day and got her number and asked her out. Casey's had a series a bad relationships and Dane is the "knight in shining armor". I couldn't ask for a better guy for her to marry. Yay!


And last but certainly not least, the Liberty Bowl and New Year's both were great. I went to my first bowl game with my mom and several old friends from church. It was great! I didn't even mind the cold. I wasn't really that cold at all. I'm sure glad we found that Walmart and were able to by some Longjohns though because I would have frozen if we hadn't. I enjoyed the quality time with mom and it was good to see her enjoying herself rather than having to deal with my grandmother in the hospital for once. It was a good two days off for her. I also ran into Amanda Bousson Cantrell and Lindsey Blackwell on the way in. It was good to see both of them. Good times and fun had by all. Yay for a boring win, 10-3! Go defense!


New Year's Eve was spent with Casey because everyone else was out of town. She was going to the restaurant were her fiance` bartends and she was going to be by herself so I offered to go with her since I had nothing else to do. We had fun but realized quickly that we were getting old as I headed out soon after the clock struck 12. But Casey finally got her first New Year's Eve kiss. Here's some documentation of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment