Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Presidental Candidates and Year In Review

We had two presidential candidates in Birmingham over the weekend. I can't remember a time when I've been in the same town as a presidential candidate. Well, except for that one time when I was little and George Bush Sr. came to Jackson. I actually went to that one. Not by choice...I was five...I think.

Anyway, Mike Huckabee was here on Saturday. He actually spoke on campus at Samford but I didn't get to go because in true Samford fashion, the Samford scheduling committee or whatever they are called scheduled it at the same time as a basketball game like they do everything else. I wish I could have gone to hear him speak. He's definitely my pick right now to be president. I agree with just about everything he says and he's a man of God. Good stuff.
Barack Obama was here too. He spoke Sunday at UAB, which I'm convinced is the Berkeley of the south. There are way too many protesters and just down right weird people that go there. Plus, they let Walter Sharpe play on their basketball team. I hope he makes it on time for the bus for them. Anyway, I listened to a bit of his speech on Sunday afternoon, which was televised. He made some good points and even dispelled a rumor about him being Muslim. He said that he had respect for the Muslim faith and those who practice it but that he has been going to the same Baptist church in downtown Chicago for 20 years. However, I've heard his little church is mega-anti-white people. But I guess that's how it goes sometimes. Then he started playing the race card and became an oppressed southern black man for the rest of the speech, saying "it's not a black-white issue (which was very contradictory to his tone) but it is a past-future issue. Whatever. He even started giving a "let freedom ringish" speech. Something, I'm sure he didn't do in Iowa or New Hampshire. Sorry Barack, you don't get my vote. I don't vote for actors.

On a different note, I saw this little year-in-review quiz on Claire's blog and thought I'd do it myself.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Went to Honduras on a mission trip. The best time of my life. (See sweet picture below of me and Julio. He taught me so much.)


2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year? I don't make resolutions. I figure why use a new year for motivation. If I can't do it during the year, what's the point?

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Definitely. My sister had sweet William, and my cousins Amy and Cindy had girls.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My papaw.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just Honduras. However, I did visit Miami for a few hours and that's a whole country in itself.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Money and a real job...NO MORE INTERNSHIPS!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Hmm...probably getting over someone...it was pretty hard...and making new friends. I suck at that.

9. What was your biggest failure?
That's hard. I don't focus much on the failures so I don't remember them all that well.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Besides, a week of back spasms and the every present two-day headache every month...nope...nothing.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I haven't really bought anything of significance in the last year.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hahah...maybe Firesheets. He actually grew up a little bit. He was as rude or annoying as he was when I first meet him.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Jason's.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, food and gas.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My sister having a baby, Honduras, Ben Harper concert

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Hmmm...maybe Switchfoot's 24

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter, poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Praying

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Whining and wasting time on boys

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent 12 days in Madison with the fam, except for the two days I was at the Liberty Bowl.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yes. With with my sweet nephew. And a little bit more in love with Jack Bauer. Oh, and Julio.

23. How many one-night stands?
Yeah. Um. No.

24. What was your favorite TV show?
24, The Office, Grey's Anatomy, The Hills, and last but not least...Chuck

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope

26. What was the best book you read?
Searching for God Knows What

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
James Morrison, Matt Wertz, Sara Barielles, Natalie Grant

28. What did you want and get?
A fantastic church with great friends

29. What did you want and not get?
The man of my dreams

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Kingdom

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 and I went to dinner with friends from church and work.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Money to go to South Africa...and a full-time job.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I've been pretty fashionable this year. Surprising, I know.

34. What kept you sane?
God's grace, my daddy and Bethany

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Channing Tatum

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I really don't know.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
That's hard. I guess Leslie.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Just because you pray for it, doesn't mean it's going to come right away. God's going to give you what's best for you and his timing is perfect. PERFECT.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Hmmm...can I do a whole song?


"24" by Switchfoot


Twenty four oceans
Twenty four skies
Twenty four failures
Twenty four tries
Twenty four finds me
In twenty-fourth place
Twenty four drop outs
At the end of the day

Life is not what I thought it was
Twenty four hours ago
Still I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You

And I'm not who I thought I was twenty four hours ago
Still I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You

Twenty four reasons to admit that I'm wrong
With all my excuses still twenty four strong
See I'm not copping out not copping out not copping out
When You're raising the dead in me
Oh, oh I am the second man
Oh, oh I am the second man now
Oh, oh I am the second man now

And You're raising these twenty four voices
With twenty four hearts
With all of my symphonies
In twenty four parts
But I want to be one today
Centered and true

I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You
You're raising the dead in me
Oh, oh I am the second man
Oh, oh I am the second man now
Oh, oh I am the second man now
And You're raising the dead in me
I want to see miracles, see the world change
Wrestled the angel, for more than a name
For more than a feeling
For more than a cause
I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You
And You're raising the dead in me
Twenty four voices
With twenty four hearts
With all of my symphonies
In twenty four parts.
I'm not copping out. Not copping out. Not copping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment