Thursday, August 26, 2010

Look For The Reason

For the past few days and a large part of last night, I've been preparing for my first road trip of the year with the volleyball team. I gathered everything red, blue and khaki in my closet, threw it in a bag last night and shipped out this morning, with books and various Apple products in tow, ready to take on this massive nine-hour bus trip to the northwest corner of Arkansas.

However, when I get to work this morning at 9 a.m., I find out that the departure time was changed from 10 a.m. to 8 a.m. last night and no one bothered to fill me in. I'm a little annoyed that I wasn't informed of the time change, but I'm not angry at anyone. I'm just disappointed that I'm not on the trip. I was excited about visiting an SEC school that I've never been too. I was excited about spending time with people that I actually like to spend time with. And I was really excited to get to see the team actually play. So I'm not angry at anyone.

At least not anymore.

After much thought (Because that's what I do. Something happens and I can't help but just sit and play it over and over in my head. So annoying.), I decided that I've got to change my whole perspective on the situation.

What if I wasn't ever supposed to go on that trip? What is there's a reason that I didn't make it? What if God's got something planned for me here in Birmingham, this weekend? Something that he wants me to be a part of, and experience. Something he doesn't want me to miss.

I have to think that's the case. Because The Big Man has yet to steer me wrong. God's been testing my faith recently and I know for a fact that the tests are about to get much, much harder.

So instead of sulking about missing a bus trip to Arkansas, I should look at it this way:

1. I'm not stuck on a bus for nine hours.
2. I get to sleep in my own bed. In my own room. Alone.
3. I don't have to share a bathroom.
4. I can eat and use the bathroom when I want to. (And where I want to. Eat, that is. I'm pretty sure there's really one acceptable option for the other. Unless you're a bathroom snob.)
5. I can watch Big Brother and Project Runway tonight and not have to wait until I get home on Sunday.
6. I won't have to worry about being back in town on Sunday in time to see NeedToBreathe for the fourth time in about 5 months. For free!

In the meantime, I'm going to ask God to help me see the good in the situation. To help me be sensative to those moments that he held me here for.

1 comment:

  1. Yes God is in control of all situations but there is a point that people need to be held accountable for there lack of concern for others, personally and professionally.

    there are always reasons to be positive but to get to where God really wants you to be, you have to STAND against those who would hinder your progress in you life travel

    if I were you I'd let my dad kick so ass.

    ReplyDelete