Monday, August 20, 2007

Bourne Ultimatum, My Little Daddy, and James Morrison

So my weekend was great. I got to go home and spend some time with the fam and see all the baby stuff that my sister has either registered for or gotten while being instructed on what I need to get ready to paint.

Well, usually when the family is altogether we go to a movie and then go out to eat to celebrate just being together. Although, mom and Anna and I would have loved to go see Hairspray, and from what I've heard it's fantastic, we did have to please the boys, so our choices were Bourne Ultimatum and Transformers. Dad picked Bourne and Ross, the bro-in-law, was itching to see it too, so that's what we saw. I'm pretty easy to please because I like any kind of movie, especially action. Plus, you can't argue with looking at Matt Damon from an hour and 55 minutes either.

So this movie gets four and a half stars from me. I can't say five full stars because not too many movies get that from me just because that's just impossible really. Anyway, it started out with action and never stopped. (Plus, I absolutely love Julia Stiles. I have ever since 10 Things I Hate About You. She's just good!) Anyway, the action never stopped. Being the third of a trilogy, there really was no point in set up, so the movie just started. It picked up right were the last one left of and I loved that about it. If you haven't seen this movie, go see it now.


Ok, on to subject number 2. My little daddy. My dad has been on a liquid diet since May. He's doing it through one of the hospitals in Jackson so it medically approved and monitored. I've found a website that explains what he's actually doing. I'll let the website say it all:

"The New Direction® Program is a medically monitored program designed for those who have 40 or more pounds to lose. This comprehensive program begins with a medical pre- screening to assess appropriateness for the program, which includes: a physical, behavioral health assessment, anthropometric measurements, body mass index computation, comprehensive lab work and an electrocardiogram.

During the first part of the program you will be on a very low calorie diet (VLCD), which consists of a nutritionally complete beverage as your sole source of nutrition. Medical monitoring is conducted to insure your safety while in the program. In the second phase of the program, the adapting phase, a dietitian and behaviorist will meet with you to help you transition back to whole foods both nutritionally and behaviorally. The third and most important phase is the maintenance phase. This is when you are eating healthy foods at a calorie level that will enable you to manage your weight for a lifetime successfully.

A key component to all three phases of the program is the weekly support/education classes. These classes cover important components to weight loss such as behaviors, nutrition and exercise. Our philosophy is based on learning and practicing healthy behaviors and getting rid of the “diet” mentality. For long-term success we will give you the tools needed to make those healthy life-style changes."

Ok, so along with the diet, Daddy works out and lifts weights whenever he can and the result has been incredible. He's two months away from the transition phase where he is able to start eating "real" food everyday. (When we go out to eat, we usually go to O'Charley's or some place like that has fish or chicken that he can eat. This is called the emergency meal. I think he's only had 3 emergency meals in 4 months.)

Since he started in May, he's lost 103 pounds! 103! I can't believe it! He looks so good! He looks like he's melting. He feels good. He doesn't have to take insulin or blood pressure medicine anymore. In fact, the amount of medicine he is taking now is, I think, half of what it was before. I'm so proud of him. This has be a very, very hard journey for my daddy and I'm so happy that he did it and has stuck to it and feels great. I know that with the 103 pounds that he had lost, he's added at least five years to his life. I think after the mild heart attack that he had when I was about to go into 8th grade that started a long line of crazy diets from doctors (the "No Meat Diet", "Just Salad", "All Pasta" diets) that only mad things worse, we all realized something needed to be done. Not only has daddy drop these pounds but he has a new perspective on life and can focus on other things now instead of worry about his weight and health. Go Daddy! I'm so proud of you!




This is me with Mom and Dad on graduation day. Just imagine my daddy 103 pounds lighter and you've got yourself a skinny daddy.




Ok, last subject. James Morrison. If you haven't heard this guy, you've got to go listen to him. Here is his MySpace page, the only way I know to listen to him without having to pay for it. I broke down Thursday night and bought his CD, Undiscovered, from iTunes, burned it to a CD and listened to it all weekend. I've about worn it out already.


This guy is a little mix of Gavin DeGraw, John Mayer, and Marc Broussard all rolled into one, with a little Stevie Wonder sprinkled on top. He's awesome! His music and rhythms are incredible and his lyrics are even better. Just a little shout out for one of my newest favorite artists. Yay for James Morrison!


1 comment:

  1. Bless your sweet little daddy's heart! That is AMAZING that he lost 103 lbs! Yay for him! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've heard great things from everyone... I'm also going to check out James Morrison. Have you ever heard of Ray Lamontagne? He is UNbelievable. Jordan has one of his songs on her playlist when you get on her blog. He is great. You should download some of his stuff too :)

    ReplyDelete