Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering...

Six years ago, today, the unthinkable happened. Hi-jackers flew planes into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and thanks to a group of brave people on the last plane, a field somewhere in Pennsylvania. I remember exactly where I was when this happened. I was a freshman at State, studying broadcasting and I had big designs on becoming the next Katie Couric. I woke up for class and turned the TV on like I did every other Thursday but never would I have imagined what I saw on the TV. I remember noticing that something was on fire in NY, the World Trade Center, but didn't think anything of it since Matt and Katie on the Today Show we not alarmed...yet. I trucked down to the bathroom to take my shower, and I think I mentioned to someone on the way down the hall what I had seen on TV. When I returned to my room after my shower, I looked back at the TV just in time hear the news that the first tower was hit. As I began to get ready, I looked back at the TV in time to see the second plane fly into the second tower and the madness began.

All I wanted to do was stay in my room and watch the Today Show but I knew I had to get to class. I savored every moment I had to watch the news until I had to leave for class. Funny thing, the class I had was U.S. Government so I knew this would be a topic. My teacher was a pretty passionate guy about government and such so I knew that this would have a huge effect on class that day.

When I got to class, I sat down and it was just a really weird atmosphere. It was sort of quiet but you could hear the murmur rise as people came in and started talking about what was going on, some who already knew about it and some just finding out for the first time. When our professor came in, he addressed the issue briefly and then quickly moved on. I was very surprised, seeing that I figured he would linger on that subject for a while but we just moved on. He began teaching and I could tell he was a bit bothered. Not ten minutes into the lesson, he stopped and said that he was sorry but he couldn't manage to teach class while our country was going through what it was going through at that time. He dismissed class and told us to go home and what the news.

And that I did. I was glued to the TV. Of course I was interested in what was going on. I was confused and I remember my dad calling to check on me and just talking about how confused I was. But even more, I was just in awe at how the news personnel handled the whole situation. I remember discussing in class the next day how it all went down. Realizing that Matt Lauer and Katie Couric changed to darker clothes from their bright threads during a commercial break because it was more appropriate to set a mood. I think that was the day I realized I really wanted to be a news anchor. I wanted to change the world. I wanted to inspire people just like I had been inspired.

Needless to say, that lasted for only three years before I decided that I didn't want to be an on-camera personality. Oh well. But I digress.

Now we know today as Patriot Day. My roommate (Kelly) and I got kind pumped for this. Kel heard somewhere that they (the government, I guess) wanted everyone to fly the American flag, so she went out and bought a flag to put on our house yesterday. So last night when I got home from teaching a swim lesson and scouring the Birmingham area for The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir I'm Amazed...Live CD (of course, no luck, not even at Lifeway, but that's another story for another blog), we found a place on our old brick house, the only place on our house that is not brick -- the side -- and mounted our flag holder and then inserted the flag. I wish I had a picture but of course, the camera is still broken and the new one I ordered will hopefully be here Friday. (Why not just get the other one fixed you ask? It would have cost more to fix it that just by a new one.)

Anyway, I hope everyone has had a great day. Let's all remember what this day is about. Of course it's a day of remembrance and mourning for some, but it should be a day of celebration as well. We need to celebrate how our country has slowly bounced back from this horrible thing. We should thank the terrorists for giving our country a reason to come together like we have, even if it is for one day. And for helping us remember and helping us show the world that we have a military that is so dedicated to its country, men and women who love their country and family and friends so much that they are willing to put their lives on the line to fight for the freedom that we have. Not to mention, that God has been more evident and more apparent that ever before because we have leaders who aren't afraid to stand up in front of the country and on national television and quote scripture and pray to the only one who can save us and has saved us. Praise God for his presence and for using people to declare his glory throughout the nation! May it never stop.


1 comment:

  1. 1. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? (And I am talking the 200 Crayola pack)
    2. If you could change your name, what would it be?
    3. What was the last really good book you read?
    4. What is your favorite "technology" that has been invented in the last 10 years?
    5. If you could live in any time period other than now, which would you pick?

    ReplyDelete