Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Weekend Recap and VMA Review

Ok...I think I'm going to have to do my review of the MTV VMAs first because it's the most annoying to me and I need to get it out of my head. I wasn't planning on watching the VMAs this year because really, MTV award shows...well MTV period...is just getting a little ridiculous. I think the only show I really watch on MTV now is "The Hills" and that is even laughable at times. But I was working on a golf story and turned my TV on and the VMAs just happened to be starting. Let's just start from the beginning.

1. Britney Spears - Poor Britney Spears. I really felt sorry for her. I was embarassed for her. It was just sad. First of all, she wasn't singing, but really, who does anymore? Aside from her tan, that seemed to be applied the day before to hide the flab, she looked horrible. Ok, Brit, you've popped out two kids in the past three years. Granted you do look like you have tried to work off some of the baby fat but seriously, you're a mom. You are someone's mother. There is no reason you should be on stage in a bra and panties. What a role model! You're definitely teaching your sons what they should look for in a girl. Class. Yeah.
Moving onto the performance, it was just sad. She looked like she had choreographed the routine 2 hours before, which it wouldn't surprise me if she did. She staggered around on the stage, looking very confused. And the song...it just doesn't make sense. I'm saddened by the road Brit Brit has taken and I really hope she finds her way back home.

But to defend Brit a little bit, I did read somewhere that the reason she looked so confused and uninterested was because during rehearsal she heard Sarah Silverman's monologue and how she called her children "adorable mistakes". I think that I would be a little thrown off by that comment as well but I think it would have fueled the fire even more to show everyone that I mean business. But oh well.

P.S. Did you see the looks on everyone's faces during the performance. It's got to take a lot to put a look of shock and awe on 50 Cent's face.
2. While we're on the subject, Sarah Silverman should fall off the face of the earth. Ok, maybe that was a little harsh, but she really annoys me. Her bit at the VMAs was not funny at all and all she really did was just trash talk. I don't get it. Can someone please get on stage and do a comedy bit that is funny without taking cheap shots at people. It really shows how classy you are when you have to stoop to such a level to get some laughs.

3. Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys and Chris Brown killed it. Those were some of the best performances I've ever seen. I randomly watched the JT Madison Square Garden concert on HBO last Thursday and I have to say, he's truly an incredible talent. Aside from being a great singer, he really knows how to put a show together and perform. Not to mention, that he played the piano and/or guitar on at least half the songs. Plus, he can dance. Really. (I wish I could find some good pictures of these guys but I've searched for 15 minutes and no luck. I quit.)
Now onto the next subject, my weekend. I had a pretty good weekend. I had to go to Atlanta Saturday for the Samford/GA Tech game. The department rented me a car so I wouldn't have to drive my own and I ended up with a yellow Exterra. It was one of the newer ones and they really drive great.

Anyway, to make a long story short. We lost. We lost bad. 69-14. And the third string was in for most of the game. They score four touchdowns in the first quarter. The FIRST QUARTER. It was worse that the MSU-LSU game last year. Oh, it was bad. However, there were a few positives we were able to take away but I won't go into that right now. Instead, I'll comment on how incredible the atmosphere at GA Tech is. They have a great game day atmosphere that made me want to go back to college and become an engineer. As most know, the mascot of GA Tech is a Yellowjacket. However, they are more commonly knows as the Wramblin' Wreck. So they have this car, the Wramblin' Wreck, that they drive across the field in every pregame. It made me miss the Mississippi State Bone Car but I digress. Here's a pic:

Anyway, their fight song is also a lot of fun. It's not very classy but it's really fun to sing. Here's the story about it from the program along with the lyrics:
It is doubtful that anything has ever meant as much to an
American college as has this Georgia Tech fight song, a curious mixture
of words and music that grew out of an old
folk ballad, "The Sons of the Gamboliers." Since the early 1900's,
it has been one of the most important vehicles in making
Georgia Tech's name known around the world and in the development
of the school as one of the most cosmopolitan institutions
of higher learning in America...In 1910, Michael A. Greenblatt,
Tech's first bandmaster, discovered the band playing "Ramblin' Wreck"
to the tune of "Sons of the Gamboliers," and made his first arrangement
of the song in the form of a handwritten manuscript.
When Frank Roman succeeded Greenblatt as bandmaster in 1911,
he wrote a new adaptation of "Ramblin' Wreck," accompanied by many
trumpet flourishes, that was played by every name band in the country
and became nationally known on radio.
His is the version that continues to be popular today.

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer,
A helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva, hell of an engineer,
Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my whiskey clear,
I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer.
Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do.
He would yell, "To Hell with Georgia," like his daddy used to do.
Oh, I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar three thousand pounds,
A college bell to put it in and a clapper to stir it around.
I'd drink to all good fellows who come from far and near.
I'm a ramblin', gamblin', hell of an engineer.

So that's that. I heard it so much that I found myself singing it when I woke up the next moring. It's kind of like "Rocky Top". It gets stuck in your head and it's hard to get out. However, it's a little less annoying than RT.

That's about it for my share time. We got home just in time for me to catch the second half of the MSU-Tulane game. I was glad to see that we were able to pull out a win, but we should have beat them my much more than that. But you know what they say, "A win is a win however you can get it." I don't know who says it but I've heard it many times before. Anyway, GO BULLDOGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment