Friday, July 18, 2008

Holy Oscar Batman!

I saw the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, last night...or should I say this morning. Yes, folks. Along with my roommate and two good friends, I ventured out with several hundred other Birminghamians (and a select few freaks of nature) to the midnight showing of The Dark Knight at one of the area theaters. And yes, it was well worth the $10 and the lack of sleep. In fact, I just took a 20-minute power nap at my desk in my office -- with the door closed -- although, that may have had more to do with the fact that my stomach is cramping and feels like it is completely in knots rather than the decision to go to a tw0-and-half-hour movie at midnight when I have to be at work at 9 the next morning.

I'm not a crazed Batman fan but I do like a good flick and none of the past Batman films have dissapointed. Especially the last one.

Anyway, I have to say, this was the best yet of the series. I would go back and see it again in the theater and pay for it. That's how good it was. And I don't say that about many movies at all.

The writing was just incredible and the way it ties everything together was so neat. The little intricate details were amazing. And Heath Ledger. Boy, oh boy. He was amazing. I didn't even believe it was him. His portrayal of The Joker was unlike any other and well deserving of an Oscar nod. You could definitely tell that he put all of himself into that role, or should I say he completely abandoned all of himself and became a totally different character. It made me sad to watch how great of an artist he his and to think about how no one will ever get to see him in another role again. What a huge loss to the entertainment industry.

I also loved seeing Morgan Freeman again. He could make the smallest role (and by no means was his role in this movie small) stand out among the crowd. Christian Bale is by far the best Batman. I don't care what anyone says. After seeing Michael Keaton in films like Multiplicity and Jack Frost (which weren't bad), I can't take him seriously anymore.

Everyone in the movie was so good. It just seemed like each actor fit his or her role to a tee. I hope it gets lots of nominations for Academy Awards. It was really just created very well.

Now, I'm counting down the minutes until I get to go home and crash in my bed.

Go see this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment