Thursday, July 17, 2008

I just got a new job and I already want to move on...

After two years of doing intern work, getting paid about $1000 a month (before taxes), I've finally gotten a job with great benefits at a great place with great people doing something I love. I mean I get to watch sports all the time! I love it!

So why is it that I already want to move on. Lately, well within the last year or so, I've definitely been feeling like God could used me in a much larger way and in addition, I've been feeling like I want to do more with my life. I have a "small" dream of running my own sports ministry one day but I have no idea how to even begin and I'm too clueless to even try to make a contact with someone who could at least give me some direction. I guess I should pray a little harder for God to cross my paths with someone who I could talk to about this and give me some pointers in how to get it started.

I really wish I had a job where I had the summer off. With my job I technically have the summer "off" but I still have to work. It's just our slowest time of the year. It's the prep stage. I want a job like teaching or something that would give me two months to do whatever I wanted. In those two months, I would go on mission trips or work for some kind of summer youth camps like the Fuge camps or whatever. I just feel like, although I could be making an impact and a difference in my workplace, I don't really see opportunities to really get in there with my hands and feet and really serve. I know I serve the Lord everyday by just being who I am (His) and glorifying him in my everyday dealings. I just need something tangible. I need to know that I am actually making that impact.

I've come to realize that I really don't want to do what I'm doing for the rest of my life. It's way too time consuming and draining to continue on with it after I get married and have children (if that ever happens). I jokingly chalk up my singleness to my job because I have no time to have a real relationship with anyone else outside of my workplace. However, I know God has given me the gift of singleness (for right now) so that he can use me with no strings attached. And I pray that if he chooses to bless me with a marriage and a family of my own one day, that I will continue to be as faithful to his calling as I am right now without sacrificing my relationship with either.

Pray that God will place opportunities in from of me to serve and glorify him and advance his kingdom. Pray that I will be open and sensitive to those opportunities, actively looking for them. Pray that I will be obedient in whatever God is calling me to do and that I will seek his guidance in all of it and trust him to handle all of the details.

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.

Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.

My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.

Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.

My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

They who seek my life will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.

They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals.

But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God's name will praise him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment