Monday, August 10, 2009

Yuck

Today I received news of something was so frustrating and so unfair that it literally made me want to toss my cookies. I had so much bitterness built up against this situation that I was angry in light of someone's happiness.

Today is one of those days when I have so many words that I could say/type but I just don't think wasting the time and energy and blog space on them is worth it.

Instead, today I'm resting in the hope that God has given me through is promise to always take care of me, to always give me what He knows I need when I need it, and that he will always, ALWAYS work things out for my good because I love Him. And he loves me.

Today, I'm thankful for his new mercies every day, for his strength in my weakness and that He holds all things together and makes my biggest decisions for me.

Today, the final chip of the old Katie has at last fallen. The new Katie is ready to do this thing called life. With the only person that really matters - God.

The book of Ruth has spoken truth to me in so many ways in the past month. And today was no different. In the midst of my bitterness I thought of Naomi and the words that she spoke at the beginning of the book:

"Don't call me Naomi; call me Bitter. The Strong One has dealt me a bitter blow. I left here full of life, and God has brought me back with nothing but the clothes on my back. Why would you call me Naomi? God certainly doesn't. The Strong One ruined me." (Ruth 1:20-21 The Message)

I was so bitter thinking God has surely forgotten who the victim in the situation is. How unfair it is for someone so undeserving to be getting something that I justly deserve.

But then God said to me in his oh-so-matter-of-fact way: "Who are you to say what is fair and unfair? Who are you to say someone doesn't deserve what I have planned for them? And who are you to say that I have forgotten you, that I don't have better things in store for you, that I don't love you?"

Ruth 1:20-21 is not the final word in the book of Ruth. God worked things out for the good of Ruth and Naomi. Naomi had lost all of her family. No offspring to carry on the family name. She had no way to provide for herself either. She had two needs: family and food.

Of her two daughters-in-law, Ruth made the decision to stay with her mother-in-law rather than go and find a new husband and start a new life. The first picture of amazing love in this book.

"Don't force me to leave you; don't make me go home. Where you go, I go; and where you live, I'll live. Your people are my people, your God is my god; where you die, I'll die, and that's where I'll be buried, so help me God—not even death itself is going to come between us!" (Ruth 1:16-17 The Message)

Most of you know how the rest of the story goes. Ruth meets Boaz. Boaz shows Ruth, the foreigner, mercy and lets her work in his field. He gives her more food to take home than anyone close to Boaz ever would. Need #1 taken care of. We find out Boaz can save Naomi's family by marrying her, things work out and the deal is done. Need #2 taken care of.

At the end of the book, we see Naomi fulfilled. Smiling and happy, surrounded by family and friends. She no longer asks people to call her "Bitter". She's resting in the hope and blessings that God has given her.

And the best part is that Ruth's family tree extends out to one of the greatest kings our world has ever known -- David. And you who David's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson is?

Jesus.

Let than marinate a bit.


(P.S. If anyone knows of a good-looking guy that is available to be an arm charm on Sept. 5, let me know. I pay in Skittles, which we all know is the candy equivalent of a million dollars.)

1 comment:

  1. Seems to me that you have a greater grasp to life than most people. It is a challenge to you to recognize what you really need in LIFE to be what God wants for you. Not only what but who. God is completely in control no doubt. He knew you before the earth was created and He knew whaat would happen this week and what will happen next week. The greatest decision you have is to expect all that God has for you or get some of what the world offers. Of course the things of the world rust and decay. HE is sufficient for all things.

    ReplyDelete