Tuesday, March 16, 2010

American Idol - Top 12

I almost didn't blog about this because, well, Mississippi State played basketball at 9 p.m. tonight and well, Mississippi State athletics comes before American Idol. However, I decided that since I've neglected ye olde blog here lately, I might as well do the AI recap. Plus, Hollie is going to want to discuss tomorrow so...

THIS. Is American Idol.

Rolling Stones week. I'm interested to see how this goes. I imagine some very random song selection. However, all will be better since I have a fantastic new television.

Here we go...

Michael Lynch ("Miss You") - Fun fact on Big Mike: He played football at Central Florida and his defensive line coach there is the defensive line coach at Samford now. Anyway...

This guy has some serious falsetto. I just...there's nothing else to say about this guy than that he can just flat out sing and perform. He's just so consistent. And he's not really trying to be someone he's not. I feel like that's what most people come on this show and do and that is their mistake. They try to be someone they are not. Mike Lynch is Mike Lynch there on the stage and that's fine with me.

Simon needs to stop commenting on people's dancing. He knows he can't dance either.

DiDi Benami ("Play With Fire") - This was a little rocky for me. I love her voice but at times I felt like it was a little slow and maybe sometimes she was behind the music a little bit. I think it was a good song for her voice and she showed a different side of herself. Kara started talking about her intensity right as I was about to type about it. She definitely had and intensity and an emotion in it. She connected with the song and through that she connected with her audience. I don't think she's in trouble at all.

Casey James ("It's All Over Now") - Ok, how precious is little baby Casey James? So precious.

This is totally his vibe. If you are a Needtobreathe fan, you understand this next statement. He has an interesting Bear Rinehart-ness about him. I loved this performance and if he makes this kind of record, as Randy said that "bluesy-kind-of-fire-ish-Stones- rock-it" vibe, I will buy it without hesitation.

And Ellen is so funny.

Lacey Brown ("Ruby Tuesday") - Sidenote: Does anyone else think she looks like Martina McBride or is it just me?

Yeah, I just don't know about this. This was definitely a performance. Like Simon said, it was very thought through. I still love her voice and I liked the arrangement but I guess it followed three really good performances so it just wasn't up to par for me I guess. I still like her though.

Andrew Garcia ("Give Me Shelter") - I love this guy to no end. But. I don't love him without his guitar. I don't know what it is, there was something missing tonight. Like Simon said, I do hope he lasts another week because at some point he is going to do something huge and I hope it's sooner than later.

Katie Stevens ("Wild Horses") - Okay, first of all, this song is in a key that is way too low and I know the reason she did that so she could belt it. I know where she's coming from on this. I think I'm just a little bitter towards her because I think she's too young to be in this competition. Her whole persona is very predictable and so is her voice. I'm just into the interesting people this year I guess. I mean it was good, but I just wasn't into it. I'm sorry, I just can't be un-biased in this situation.

Tim Urban ("Under My Thumb") - I think Tim Urban is the cutest thing on this earth right now. However, I just don't see him as the American Idol. I mean I could easily compare him to Chris Allen but he still wouldn't measure up. The performance was just a little weird for me and I think the only part that I enjoyed was the bridge. I think I've said this before but I see him as a college circuit performer, not on mainstream radio.

Siobhan Magnus ("Painted Black") - I first must say this: the hair doesn't match the outfit. Now that I've said that, I'll say this: She kind of reminded me of Adam Lambert with this performance and that's just a little too close for me. And Kara just agreed. However, the girl has some serious pipes. Besides a few notes at the beginning and the very end of that very high note, it was pretty great. Like Kara and Simon said, she definitely had the best interpretation of her song.

Lee Dewyze ("Beasts of Burden") - I'm going to go ahead and say again that I have a slight crush on Lee Dewyze and if I were to meet him, I may or may not hyperventilate while trying to keep my cool. But that's neither here nor there.

Ok, four bars into this and I love it. This didn't even feel like a Rolling Stones song. Actually, that was a hot performance. Loved the arrangement. Loved the sound. Love him. Period.

I disagree with Simon on the "shining moment" issue. I thought this was a shining moment that set him apart from the other contestants.

Paige Miles ("Honky Tonk Woman") - She's rocked this performance but there were definitely some definite pitchy parts. I don't buy the country vibe and she sounds a lot like Kelly Clarkson which makes me want to compare her to her. It seemed a little karaoke or pageant-y. It was definitely better than last week but not my favorite of the night. I'm sure she'll be back next week. Especially considering that she had laryngitis, that was pretty darn good.

Aaron Kelley ("Angie") - I'm holding a little grudge against this guy because I think he took Alex Lambert's place in the Top 12. He's also one that I think is too young for this competition. And someone needs to teach him another move so he can stop moving from one side of the stage to the other, taking a shoulder width stance and rocking from side-to-side. I'm not going to take away from the kid's talent; he can definitely sing. I guess I just have a grudge to get over. I still think there are better contestants.

Crystal Bowersox ("You Can't Always Get What You Want") - Love this song. This girl is head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd. How much? An insane amount. How has this girl not been discovered yet. I'm watching this and it feels like I'm watching a guest appearance. She is so good. I call top two right now.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Tim Urban is going home. I love the kid but everyone else was just better. But tomorrow will tell.

Walden. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment