Wednesday, March 10, 2010

American Idol - Top 8 Guys

THIS...is American Idol!

Let's do this.

Lee Dewyze (Owl City's "Fireflies") - Ryan just intro-ed this and I'm intrigued.

Ok, I was confused the whole time but I surprisingly loved it. I was bobbing my head and everything. The kid can sing and he just rocks anything that he sings because you can tell that music is his passion. Ellen's right. I'm crushing a little. He's still one of my top three.

Alex Lambert (Ray Lamontagne's "Trouble") - I love this song. LOVE. THIS. SONG. I'm excited to hear him sing it. And can I just say that I want to take some scissors to this kid's hair every time I see him on stage.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call "dark horse" right here. This kid has an amazing talent but I feel like he's still not confident in it. He's much more, MUCH MORE, confident in himself than when he started this whole thing, but he's still got a ways to go when it comes to stage presence. But with that said, this was a perfect song for him and I do kind of agree with Ellen that his innocence and vulnerable-ness (vulnerability?) is what makes him so lovable. People can't help but to cheer for him. And I think having the guitar gives him a little more confident. It's his safety blanket. Like Kara and Simon said, he really just needs to let go and just sing.

Tim Urban (Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah") - Oh, dear soul. I love this song. (I feel a little trend coming on like last night. These American Idol people must be stalking me.) After Justin Timberlake recorded this for Haiti Relief, I bought it that night and have listened to it on repeat for a month. AND I loved when Jason Castro did this too. AND have you seen his I Am Second video? He talks about singing this song.

Ok, somebody get this kid an acting gig because he is precious. And he looks like he could just fit right in on That 70's Show. I don't know what it is about this performance but I didn't really dig it. There really was nothing bad about it. He sounded okay. And he did a good job but I just wasn't digging it.

I might just need to go back and watch it again. Except that I probably won't.

Andrew Garcia (Christina Aguilera's "Geanie In A Bottle") - SAY WHAAA?????

Genius. Shut your mouth Kara and Simon. That was genius.

Casey James (Keith Urban's "You'll Think Of Me") - As a non-country music person, I've never heard this song and he made me want to go download it. This is the deal with Casey James. The kid can sing and he's H-O-T-T hot. It doesn't matter what he sings. He knows what kind of artist he is already. No searching there. Still in my top three.

Aaron Kelly (Lonestar's "I'm Already There") - Dear to the goodness, all the country music. Ok, I had to pause here because I'm already annoyed with his confidence. I applaud that the kid is confident in his talent but right now it's coming off a little cocky and that makes his performance unauthentic. He's pushing it a little too. With that said, he can sing and he knows what kind of artist he wants to be. He has the tools but they need some sharpening. I won't be voting for him.

Tu chez, Kara. The story of the song did not fit the singer. To which Aaron Kelly says, "I was trying to tell the story. That's all." Let me say this: In my experience, stories always work better when you are the main character. And my dear, you are 16 and you don't have kids at home that you are calling. Didn't work.

Toddrick Hall (Queen's "Somebody To Love") - I really, really love this song. Makes me want to get up, take a shoulder width stance, pump my fist and sing very, very loudly. Mainly because it should totally be my life anthem right now. Can somebody find me somebody to love? Seriously? Because The 'Ham is in a serious dude drought.

You can tell this guy has been on Broadway. There is not lack of "performer" in his bones. He just redeemed himself from last week. Last week, I thought he was going home. This week, not so much.

Sidenote: Simon completely just insulted him by telling him that he was a Broadway singer. The last thing someone like him, who has been on Broadway already and is now on AI, wants to hear is that he is a Broadway singer. He knows that already. Obviously, if he wanted to be a Broadway singer, he would still be on Broadway. He's trying to re-invent himself and I don't think Simon is on board yet.

Michael Lynch (Maxwell's "This Woman's Work") - Every time I hear this song I think of this from So You Think You Can Dance at which at sat my little self in my living room and ugly cried for about 20 minutes after.


A couple of thoughts: I feel like he's singing to his wife. He reminds me of a friend from high school. It just thundered so wicked hard that my apartment shook. Yikes.

What a way to end the show. That was crazy good. There is nothing else to say about that. Because I'm ugly crying again.

The guys are definitely the stronger group.

My top three are still Mike, Andrew and Casey James (I can't just say Casey. I have to say Casey James.)

The best performances tonight were Mike, Alex and Toddrick.

I think Tim and Aaron are in trouble. At least, that's what I think.

Here's my top 12:
Mike
Lee
Andrew
Casey James
Alex
Toddrick
Crystal Bowersox
Lilly
Siobhan
Katelyn
Didi
Lacey

But we shall see after tomorrow!

Walden. Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment