Tuesday, May 15, 2007

100 Things You Never Really Want To Know About Me...Or Maybe You Do

Heather and Boo have inspired me to do this with their lists of 100. I thought, "I have nothing really to do at work. I'll make my own list of '100 Things You Never Really Want To Know About Me...Or Maybe You Do'. Boy, was I wrong. I never thought making a list of 100 fun things about myself would be so hard but it seriously took me a week to do. Anyway, here goes...


1. Trying to get a job is extremely emotionally draining.
2. When I’m upset, all I want is my mom and dad, especially my dad.
3. My right index finger is shorter than my left and it doesn’t straighten. It’s a small after effect of a wart from when I was little – I’m convinced of it!
4. Singing absolutely almost always makes me feel better.
5. Pretty much all my life, but especially since high school, all my friends have been boys, except for one best girl friend. Every girl needs a best girl friend.
6. I want to learn how to sew.
7. Once when I was little I thought it would be fun to play the piano with my baton. Not a good idea. Mom wasn’t very happy but she couldn’t keep from laughing either. We still have the piano…with the chipped keys. What can I say? I love mixing my hobbies.
8. My best friend Lauren and I always said growing up we were going to be either cheerleaders or majorettes at Mississippi State. Neither happened.
9. My dad once handcuffed my sister and me together when we were little because we wouldn’t stop fighting. He thought it would make us appreciate each other. He even made us go to church handcuffed, or maybe he just threatened. Either way, it eventually worked.
10. Throughout my childhood, I loved to collect things – stray buttons found in department store dressing rooms, wallpaper samples from our weekly after-church trips to Sears, cool rocks from the playground (I would often come home with a pocket full of rocks) and Dennis the Menace cartoon clippings out of the paper (Thanks to Grandma for feeding that addiction).
11. I once got the bright idea to play skating rink in my house. I strapped on the ol’ skates and took some loops around the house. Then I got the bright idea to go skate upstairs. Going up was much easier than coming down. I flipped down the stairs and got a busted lip. My parents decided to forego the spanking considering the busted lip and bruised ego would be punishment enough.
12. In elementary school (probably like 2nd and 3rd grade), my parents would bribe me with Little Caesars pizza on Friday if I didn’t get my name on the board for the whole week. I think it probably equaled out to about once a month. Thus, my obsession with Little Caesars Crazy Bread…and the innertube around my waist.
13. My Papaw was probably the coolest Papaw around. He always had a story and won a 2-million mile award for driving Trailways Buses. He was a soldier in World War II (not really sure that he actually fought) and he once had a bird fly so hard into the windshield of his bus that it went straight through the bus and went out the other side (at least that’s how he told it). Every time he picked my sister and me up from school, we’d go to the gas station and get all kinds of junk food. He also took us to the zoo all the time and we loved it when he took us to the Swinging Bridge in Byram. Too bad it’s forbidden now. My children will never get to experience that.
14. I take pride in being voted Most Loyal Rebel in high school and think that in no way my being head cheerleader had anything to do with it.
15. I love that I have a best friend that I’ve known since birth and that we can go months or even years without talking and pick up right where we left of the last time we saw each other. I love you, LB!
16. My first speeding ticket was for going 100 in a 65 on Highway 25. My car has never gone that fast since.
17. I’ve been to probably more than 100 weddings in my life…8 in my immediate family...one sister, seven cousins. I’ve been a flower girl four times, a maid of honor once, an honorary once, a program hander-outer nine times, and a rice/tea girl twice.
18. I was in the Top 10 of the Beauty and Beau Pageant my senior year in high school. And I didn’t get there because my mom worked for the school or because my sister was the MC.
19. I’ve been to 10 Broadway plays – 2 in New York, 1 in London, these I’ve seen in Jackson. This doesn’t include the six music revues I’ve seen, two in which my sister starred in.
20. I’ve walked down the aisle where Princess Diana became the Princess of Wales and I stood where her casket was in Westminster Abby. Both were probably two of the weirdest moments of my life. P.S. I’m obsessed with the Royal Family.
21. I always look forward to family vacations. They are some of the best memories of my life.
22. Until I got my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 21, I hadn’t thrown up in nine years.
23. I played the piano by ear for a year before my parents decided to have me take lessons.
24. I’ve had a guitar for six years and only know two chords. It’s still THE BEST Christmas present I’ve ever gotten.
25. I once got bit by my friend’s grandparents’ poodle and I will forever hate the poodle breed.
26. I won’t eat Rally’s burgers because my cousin once got mad at me and put nail polish remover on mine. I didn’t eat the burger.
27. I’ve had five dogs in my life. One was a stray that I found in the gutter crossing the street from my elementary school to the junior high that my mom worked at. She let me take it home. We had to take it to the pound after we discovered that he dug a hole under the fence every night to sleep by the garbage cans. So sad!
28. I will never master the art of back rollovers!
29. My parents were going to name me Bubba if I was a boy…short for William Robert Walden, III.
30. Whenever I go to concerts, I often study how the musicians play instead of sitting back and enjoying the music.
31. I have a secret desire to be a background singer.
32. When I was little, I wanted to be a playground architect and design playground equipment. I had a notebook of designs…I think I still have it.
33. I have to eat my skittles, jelly beans, and often times my mms by color. I pour the whole bag out and split them up into color groups. Then I make each group an even number, eat the odd ones first and start with the group with the least amount in it first and go up from there. I eat each group by twos. I guess you could say I’m a little OCD.
34. More often than not, I have a list of things that I have to figure out or name off in my head before I can go to sleep at night. Sometimes it’s the states…sometimes it’s what class and teacher I had for each period, each year of high school. Another weird quirk.
35. When I was little I would say that ham gave me a headache. It really actually did. The smell was horrid. Sometimes I still say it so that I won’t have to eat it at Thanksgiving. Turkey, please!
36. I hated Oreos all my life until about April 2007.
37. I have a fear of drowning yet I am a lifeguard and saved people from drowning.
38. I don’t care what Sheryl Crow says, I will never, ever be able to use just one piece of toilet piece to wipe my hiney!
39. Jeremiah 29:11 is my motto for life. I take it seriously. It’s not a cliché. That and the line from 10 Things I Hate About You, “Never let anyone make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.”
40. Tulips are my favorite flower. Shrimp and Crawfish are my favorite foods.
41. I used to think that I couldn’t play outside past 7 on Saturday and Sunday evenings because there was a monster that would come and get me if I did.
42. I want to wear my mom’s wedding dress (updated) if I ever get married. And I want my sister to sing The Lord’s Prayer (even it is has to be previously recorded.)
43. My dad is my hero. I used to think that he competed in those Strongest Man competitions that they show on ESPN.
44. I get a migraine every two weeks. It lasts for about two days. I’ve had this problem for a little over a year now. It’s getting kind of annoying.
45. I can’t wait to be an aunt in November!
46. I miss doing plays and Colonel’s Classics when I was in high school.
47. I have a list of “Things I Want To Do In My Life” – the list includes going to the Kentucky Derby, visiting Australia and surfing, and learning how to fly.
48. I have to admit, I kind of, a little bit, miss Derby Days. I think I miss dancing the most.
I love when people play with my hair.
49. I love when Kyle comes to visit me because we always go to Cheesecake Factory.
50. I’ve never been more comfortable with my life and my surroundings that I am right now.
51. I love my job. I’m a sports information director. My job is watching sports. What could be better?!?
52. I loved going to a school my mother worked at. I could always go to her room and act like I needed something if I was late to a class and she would give me a pass. Also the coaches were always looking out for me. It was like having nine dads around for eight hours of the day.
53. My dad used to be a soccer coach when he taught science at Peeple’s Junior High. His team was the first and only state championship soccer team the school (or any JPS school) has ever had.
54. In eighth grade, my friends who were Mississippi State fans decided to roll our other friend’s mom car (who was an Ole Miss fan and just happened to be our English teacher). We did it during third period, which was art class. We had the teacher wrapped around our finger and could talk him into letting us do pretty much anything. We once talked him out of detention. We rolled the car, and then “got called” to the principal’s office. (FYI: The principal was like our dad. He was cool.) They had drawn up suspension papers for all five of us. Fake suspension papers. They told us that we were suspended for three days and I laughed. The principal called my dad – he went along with it. Long story short – no suspension…just a good ole laugh.
55. I had a horrible case of chicken pox when I was four. I was in the hospital for a week. The doctors said it was the worst case they had ever seen. They were inside my body – down my throat, in my ears, everywhere. When I got out of the hospital my dad overheard the doctors say, “Well, Miss Katie, we almost lost ya there.” He wasn’t happy.
56. I can relate any situation in life to an episode of Friends, The Cosby Show, Saved By The Bell, or Full House.
57. I was the kid in kindergarten who wouldn’t wake up from naptime. They would take my blanket from me, then my pillow, then pull my mat out from under me. One day, we had a substitute. She tried to wake me up by pulling my up by my arm. The result was the my arm was pulled out of socket and I had to go to the doctor and get it popped back in. I got ice cream on the way home, as was our usual post-doctor visit ritual. We went back to the daycare to get my stuff and I walked up to the teacher and said, “I got ice cream. Na na-na-na na!” (Immediately followed by the sticking out of my tongue.)
58. When I was in kindergarten, I would kiss all of my guy-friends goodbye when my mom came to get me. One time she came and I forgot to do it. She started to pull away and I said, “Wait! I forgot something!” My mom stopped the car, I jumped out and my boys were lined up at the fence, waiting for their smooches! I kissed each one of them through the fence, jumped back in the car, and said “Okay, we can go now.” My mom found it funny. I was the harlot of Raymond Road Baptist Daycare and my mom thought it was funny!
59. My roommate is amazed by the fact that I can snooze for two hours. I just don’t like waking up!
60. I hate pantyhose!
61. I'm incredibly good at Wheel of Fortune and will be on the show someday.
62. I’m contemplating looking into doing fantasy teams for next year. Anybody want to explain the process to me?
63. I really want to go to Africa.
64. I think Blood Diamond is THE best movie I’ve seen in a while.
65. I almost got arrest in Paris for putting my feet on the subway seat in front of me.
66. I can't wait to go to Honduras in June!
67. One day I will attend the Summer Olympics. The Winter Olympics are just too cold.
68. I also think it would be cool to go to the XGames…maybe even the Winter XGames. At least those are more exciting than figure skating.
69. I’ve lived in only two states – Mississippi and Alabama.
70. I’ve visited only 12 states…if you count the airports I’ve had layovers in – AL, TX, MO, AR (drove through it on the way to MO and pretty sure I ate at a Sonic), LA, FL, GA, SC, NY, IL (or O’Hare International Airpot in Chicago), MA (or the airport in Boston on the way back from Paris), and TN.
71. I love the little square “Fresh Ink” cards that they have at Hallmark. I buy at least five whenever I go in there, and it racks up points on my Hallmart Gold Crown Card!
72. I love to paint. My mom says that I should sell my paintings. I don’t think I’m that good.
73. I’m very good at remembering people’s birthdays.
74. I have never smoked a cigarette or taken any kind of drugs.
75. My dad gave me my first taste of alcohol at a distance cousin’s wedding when I was in 11th grade. He had me taste wine and champagne. I didn’t like either one. He liked that fact very much.
76. I love Christmas music. I could listen to it all year.
77. Cookie cakes are my FAVORITE!
78. I was never really grounded when I was a kid. I was told I couldn’t watch TV for a day one time.
79. I wonder where the term “grounded” came from.
80. I lived on campus for all four years of college – Rice Hall (freshman), McKey Hall (sophomore), and the KD House (junior and senior).
81. I was lame enough to think that my mom would be mad at me if I didn’t pledge Chi O. I pledge KD. My mom and I are still on speaking terms.
82. I absolutely LOVE fountain cokes from Sonic and coke ICEEs.
83. I’m way too sarcastic. Most people can’t take me seriously at all.
84. Ironically, I couldn’t stand Ben the first time I meet him because he was so sarcastic. My sarcasm has increased since we started working together.
85. I am the grammar natzi I swore I would never become.
86. I hated wearing dresses when I was little. I semi love it now.
87. Whoever created pantyhose should be shot and killed. Okay, that was a little harsh. Maybe just hurt a little.
88. I have never broken a bone, but I’ve had three semi-injuries. Numero uno: The afore mentioned arm-out-of-the-socket disaster (see #58). Number two: I twisted my ankle once in first grade and made my parents take me to the emergency room. However, I think I was more excited about going to the emergency room than worried about my ankle. We ended up leaving because I was jumping around in the emergency room. Obviously I was okay. Numéro trois: I “jammed” my knee in cheeleading practice my sophomore year. This was probably my worst incident. I fell from a liberty onto my knee. I’m pretty sure it was a sprain. I couldn’t walk for two days.
89. My dad, my mom and my sister all work in education. I’m the let down. I ruined the tradition. I decided to work in the boring field of sports.
90. I have an obsession with Australian things…especially koalas. I used to want one for a pet. I still kinda do.
91. I share this with Heather T. Skaggs: I love to vacuum. I’m not really sure why. I also love using the Swiffer.
92. I miss the Carebears more than you could ever know.
93. I love monogrammed things and polka dots.
94. I’m a people-watcher. I could sit in a restaurant, mall, airport, whatever and watch people walk by.
95. I have this thing where I have to sit facing the door in most places like restaurants and stuff. I attribute it to my people-watching obsession.
96. I often look at people and wonder what their story is. I rarely ask though.
97. I love flying. Have I said this before? 9/11 had no affect on my love of flying.
98. Has anyone seen Carlos Mencia’s “No Strings Attached”? It’s actually quite good and he makes some very good points. He kinda spread the Gospel a little bit. It would be great if he didn’t curse so much though.
99. I love to pop my knuckles.
100. I can't believe it took a week for me to get to 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment