Monday, May 14, 2007

The Wii...or should I say Weeee...the world solution to obesity cause by video games

Ok...can I please tell you how much fun Wii is to play? I just had the best two hours I've had in a long time playing Wii with a bunch of my student workers. It's the cooooooolest thing ever!

Wii (if no one knows by now), according to Wikipedia (the worldest wealth of knowledge), is described as this: "the fifth home video game console released by Nintendo. The console is the direct successor to the Nintendo GameCube (which is also cool...love MarioGolf, thanks to Jason and Drew). Nintendo states that its console targets a broader demographic that that of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3, but it competes with both as part of the seventh generation of gaming systems. A distiguishing feature of the console is its wireless controller, the Wii Remote, which can be used as a handheld pointing device (like a mouse I guess) and can detect motion and rotation in three dimensions. Another is the WiiConnect24, which enables it to receive messages and updates over the Internet while in standby mode."

In real people language, this contraption, unlike it's predecessors,
allows the user to actually move with the game. This isn't moving like I used to move with the controller when I would try to make Mario jump from one small brick to the other. The Wii detects you movement through the controller as you play the game. So as you play tennis or golf or bowling, like you would in real life, it detects your movement and transfers it onto the screen. How awesome is that?!?!?! It's much like the virtual reality thing of the 90's.

This, I am convinced, is the world's solution to child obesity due to sitting in front of the TV playing video games. I would never allow my children, future children that is, to play video games as I did when I was a child. Although I didn't become obese as a result (because I would rather play all night then take a break and eat dinner), it did severely affect my temper and caused me to through controllers, as well as Gameboys (Diggie, from Run's House, I feel your pain. Although my parents didn't let me do chores to earn money to buy another one...they just said I couldn't have another one.)

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent. I would definitely allow my
children to play this. It encourages an active lifestyle. And it's fun for the whole family. This is so great because it allows you to get a work out while playing the video game. Much like DDR (Dance Dance Revolution), you can work up a sweat playing the boxing and tennis games that come with it, along with bowling and golf as well as a plethera of other fun things to do. (I was told there was even an aerobics things you can do with it. Although I'm sure it hardly rivals Hip Hop Abs.) The owner of the Wii said her brother has a Madden game that you can actually run and throw the football in. Too cool for school!

P.S. After playing the Wii for a good while, the user may even become tired as a result of all the physical activity. Seriously. The child wouldn't be able to handle more than two or three hours of it. It's pretty much equal to a good play in the yard (although, I would never choose Wii over a good play in the yard). But it's good for a rainy day.

Parents of the future generation...I officially endorse the Wii. Encourage an active lifestyle in your children and join in the fun. I leave you with a quote from the people of Nintendo, explaining how the Wii is for everyone, users of all ages.

"Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by the people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

No comments:

Post a Comment