Monday, May 14, 2007

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? Maybe she's on the Oregon Trail!

Does anyone remember the computer games Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail? I've just finish a 20 minute long conversation with Ben and Gavin about these two games and how awesome they were when we were in elementary school. Of course, this convo stemmed from another convo about American Gladiators and the best Nickelodeon games shows ever made such as GUTS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and What Would You Do?.

I can remember playing Oregon Trail in fourth and fifth grade gifted class when Mrs. Hansford would give us free days. We even did a unit on the whole Oregon Trail deal with the settlers and going across the country as a tribute to our love for the game. We even had a party "on location" at the pond behind our school. The whole setting really did fit because there were cabins back there that the school district often used for retreats. We played games and fished and everything. It was awesome!


I remember putting my friends' names into the program
(much like we would do with Sleuth) when I would get mad at them so that they would end up getting dysentery or falling of the wagon or much worse...dying of starvation. No harm done. I didn't really want them to die.


And oh, Carmen Sandiego! How I loved this game? And it was even more fun when it was a TV show because my sister and I would compete against each other at home. Of course, she always won. Anna wins everything. I've dealt with that. Sort of. But I can remember getting home after school in just enough time to catch the beginning of the show. And how could we forget the greatest host in the world...the lady from "Lean On Me". (See Lynn Thigpen to the right.)


Anyway, I just wanted to share the memories. Now I must get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment