Monday, February 2, 2009

Christmas Decorations, Second Chances and Packed Out Gymnasiums

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had a busy one but still had some major brights spot despite a few set backs.

I'll first start with the unrelated news of my Latino neighbors who refuse to take their Christmas decorations down. Yes, people, they still have their light-up nativity scene set up in their front yard accompanied by a plethora of running lights. Don't believe me? Take a gander...

It's a smidge blurry but you can tell that they are in fact, still up. Too bad you can't see the running lights on the house in the background. I'm just glad they've stopped parking in the yard so you can see the spectacle. Y'all, I swear there are about five cars parked in a driveway that should only fit about one and a half cars. Maybe two mini coupers. Possibly four smart cars.

Anyway, I applaud them for keeping the spirit of Christmas alive. I think I've come to the conclusion that they are really religious (instead of lazy) and they are keeping them up until Easter. For symbolic reasons, ya know. We'll see.

But onto my weekend, Friday night was good. I didn't leave work until about 7:30 p.m., but for good reason. We went out to the third floor entrance of the Pete Hanna Center to document the Sigma Nus camping out for the basketball game. This may not sound like that big of a deal for most of you but for Samford this is huge.

We are talking about a school whose majority of the student body would rather study for a test or go home than see a college football or basketball (or any other sport for that matter) game on a nice Saturday afternoon. Granted, most of the excitement had to do with one Stephen Curry (pronounced stephin like 'effin and yes, the kid has his own Wikipedia page) coming to campus as Samford faced Davidson on Saturday, looking to bust the Wildcats' 40-game conference win streak.

Anyway, campus was electrified and the Sigma Nus were pumped. Long story short, the place was packed out on Saturday. A sight no other facility has ever seen on Samford's campus. Not even during graduation. Check it.

Students sitting behind the goal, decked out in their white.


A view of the other end. This is about an hour before the game. It was packed with people standing at the top by tip off.

The students' section with my volleyball girls coming down all painted up.

More of the students' section. Basically a picture of the whole football team. Our athletes get good seats because they show up on time.

A view of the line outside. This is unheard of at Samford.

The volleyball girls.

Sigma Nus getting their cheer on.

Although, we lost by three due to a missed last-second three-point shot, it was one of THE BEST college basketball games I have ever seen or had the privilege working. The atmosphere was crazy and I hope that the Samford students and the community that was there saw something they liked and will come back for more. There is no doubt that the electricity in that arena is one reason our team played as well as they did and kept Curry from scoring more than 20 (he averages around 29 points) for the second time this year.

Another low point was Mississippi State losing to Ole Miss by four in Starkville. But I shan't comment on that. I'll just say, live and die by the three. Live and die. No excuses.

Although I was completely exhausted by 5 p.m. on Saturday night and my feet were revolting against me because I chose to be cute over comfortable for the game, my night was far from over. I left the office around 6 p.m. and headed home to eat before I headed back out to a former neighbors house to play with my favorite 5-year-old and almost 3-year old. Wyatt and Mary hold a special place in my heart because they treat me like family, and since I don't get to see my family and my sweet nephew a lot, it's good to be able to love on and get love from such precious children. Their parents aren't half bad either. Just kidding. They are one of my favorite couples.

I spent two wonderful hours with my favorite dynamic duo before I insisted they go to bed or mom and dad would be mad at me. The Boehm's returned around 11 p.m. and I headed home and straight for my bed.

I awoke on Sunday and rushed to get ready for church because the alarm clock is never nice to me and in this battle of wills, I won. I was about 10 minutes late for church but didn't really miss much. Church was fantabulous as always but I had to rush home and eat before heading back out to visit another former neighbor.

The Debour's were my first babysitting adventure here in Birmingham and I've watched little John grow up into a "two-and-a-half" year old little man who could talk to a wall. He's precious and has the most infectious smile ever. I'm so blessed to have families like the Boehms and the Debours who allow me to pour my life into their families and they into mine.

The Debours returned around 6 p.m. and I immediately went home to catch what was left of the Super Bowl. While watching, I did a round of laundry and wrote a track and field recap. The work never stops.

Later on in the evening, my iPod Touch decided to quit working and it's practically brand new. I've made an appointment to go to the Apple Store to get it checked out and the guy on the phone assured me that the problem was fixable and no big deal.

I never realized how obsessed I'd become with that little piece of technology until I almost cried when I couldn't listen to my music on the two-minute drive to work today. Sadness.

On a way less related note, did anyone hear about Michael Phelps smokin' it up with a bong at a recent party? Notice I didn't refer to him as "my beloved Michael Phelps". I'm pretty disappointed. I would have hoped that an extreme athelte like him would know better but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Or a second chance. Whichever applies here. The kid is 23 years old and basically never had a college life. Although I never did anything remotely resembling smoking weed, and I disapproved majorly with a certain friend who did (who is still in college and suffering the consequences of those actions now), I have to hope that MP has learned his lesson and realizes how much of a celebrity he is now and that he is watched like a hawk.

Just remember, MP, cameras, Facebook and MySpace are never your friend unless you are in a speedo winning a gold medal.

Make note of that.

1 comment:

  1. A team is not a "team" unless it carries beyond the court to the very fiber of all the lives involved. That's how I test the ability of a "team" to over come challenges whether on the court or off.

    Go "Bullettes"!!!

    ReplyDelete