First, praise the Lord for a fantabulous weekend at home. I wish I was still there because there are so many people I didn't get to see because I was busy loving on my family. And in a selfish way, that's perfectly fine with me. My nephew is hi-freakin'-larious and definitely has Walden genes, and is definitely ALL BOY. He's gotten into the "I know you think it's funny when I do this so I'm going to keep doing it until it becomes annoying and then I'll do it some more" stage.
It was such a great weekend. Tacos and burritos were involved as well as some shopping with Mom and in-depth talks with Dad. Oh, and Mississippi State lost in overtime. Good thing the car was in park when the losing happened or I think my Mom would have run the van through the brick wall in our garage.
And another praise the Lord...a friend who was completely bound for eternity in Hell, became a Christian on Sunday and I couldn't be more excited for him. He hasn't announced it to anyone yet but the guy who led him through the process cheated and let us know. So I hope he doesn't read this and find out that we all know.
Anyway, on to today's post...Andy shared some interesting fun facts today on the After-Lunch Breakdance like, did you know that there is an arrow on the FedEx logo? Can you find it? (Look between the "e" and "x".)
He then asked the readers to share their own fun facts and the only one I could think of was that polar bears are left-handed. I heard this a while back when someone referenced "south paw". I think. Either way, it's one of those stupid things that stuck in my head.
However, my interest was piqued at what other fun facts there are out there so I did what any other red-blooded American would do in these types of situations: I googled.
And here is the cream of the crop:
- North Dakota is the only state in the US that has never had an earthquake.
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.
- A can of SPAM is opened every 4 seconds. (Um, gross.)
- On December 17, 1811, an earthquake in Illinois was reported to cause the Mississippi River to flow backward momentarily. The river changed its course in several spots as a result of the earthquake as new islands appeared and others disappeared in the river.
- If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
- 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand. (You might see a left-handed theme progressing here. I can't help it.)
- If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. (a.k.a. Amazon Woman)
- Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants. (Um, duh?)
- There are approximately fifty Bibles sold each minute across the world! (Yay, God!)
- A person uses approximately fifty-seven sheets of toilet paper each day! (My dad would beg to differ on this according to his household.)
- The cigarette lighter was invented before the match. (Talk about backwards inventing.)
- Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.
- Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson." (Well, then. Who did?)
- It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the world's population are drunk. (Not surprised. And I'm sure half of that are fraternity boys.)
- Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush. (Um, I'm totally moving my toothbrush when I get home tonight.)
- To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs-it will let you go instantly. (You hear that, Survivorman?)
Do you have any fun facts? Leave them in the comments.