Thursday, March 26, 2009

Forgotten Thoughts

I had so many things I wanted to blog about today and they have all escaped my brain leaving me with absolutely nothing pertinent to post. It seems the past two days have taken a toll on me today and I am inexplicably exhausted.

Seriously, I am two shades away from taping my eyes open here at my desk. Or I might just close my door and take a nap.

Anywho.

Yesterday was an extremely hard day. Saying goodbye for forever to someone you've know your whole life is one of the hardest things a person ever has to do. And it's even harder when they had their whole life ahead of them. And I know, outside of his family, it was even harder on certain other people than me.

However, it was good to be with friends and see friends that you haven't seen in a while. A long while.

I saw many people that I looked up to when I was younger -- Jennifer Malone Crowe, Jennifer Hartzog, John Gordon, Lisa Curry and of course my three moms, Sherry Russum, Karen Stewart and Cheri Powell.

I saw people who used to say to me, "Wow, last time I saw you, you were this big." And found myself saying the same thing to their children, ahem, who are about to graduate from high school.

Oh. My. Word. I'm 25. And feel old. Not supposed to happen.

My sweet Stephanie Russum came up to me and said that she had 25 days left of high school and then we proceeded to talk about where she was going to college and what she was studying. And all I could think about was teaching her to swim and remembering when she was in first grade, sitting on my lap in the youth room, learning the ABC's of Christianity and memorizing the 10 Commandments.

I remember being at her house, with her brother, whom I used to have one of those, what do you call it? Oh relationships. Yeah. That. I remember being there, forgetting that he was there and playing with her and her friend Savannah.

I saw guys I used to hang out with, and laugh at their immature jokes, who are now husbands and fathers.

Have things really changed THAT much? Are we really THAT much older? Has time really flown by THAT fast?

Yep. I think so.

But in all of the changes, in all the grown up faces and new hair-dos and facial hair (on the boys, not the girls), I looked into eyes and saw the people I once new. Even the ones that I was really dreading seeing.

There are some amazing memories there. Some pretty hilarious memories there. Most of them involved toilet paper. And trees. And minivans. And my Dad acting like he'd fallen off a roof.

And I remembered things that I'd forgotten. And people I'd forgotten.

And God showed himself once again.

(So maybe I had something to blog about after all.)

I'll leave you with pictures of my nephew and the carousel ride I mentioned last week.

This was the smile he gave me when I told him to smile. Precious-ness.

Mommy And Cutie..."wrastlin'" on the bed

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your stuff. I know you get it from your mom. Memories may be all we have at the end of this world.

    I hope you can keep your eyes open today.

    ReplyDelete