Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Talking Donkeys

If you think the Old Testament is boring and just full of irrelevant facts, just go with me here.

I've never seen my pastor almost pass out from laughing so hard until this Sunday. We were studying Hebrews 1: 1-4 and one of the points was how God uses many different avenues to speak to his people. Today, he mostly uses Christ and the body of Christ. Back in the day, he used burning bushes and talking donkeys.

Then he took us to Numbers 22:21-31 which says:

21 Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab. 22 But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the LORD stood in the road to oppose him. Balaam was riding on his donkey, and his two servants were with him. 23 When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand, she turned off the road into a field. Balaam beat her to get her back on the road.

24 Then the angel of the LORD stood in a narrow path between two vineyards, with walls on both sides. 25 When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she pressed close to the wall, crushing Balaam's foot against it. So he beat her again.

26 Then the angel of the LORD moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left. 27 When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat her with his staff. 28 Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"

29 Balaam answered the donkey, "You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now."

30 The donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?"
"No," he said.

31 Then the LORD opened Balaam's eyes, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.

If you didn't find the hilarity in that, please click here and see how my pastor interprets it.

Let it load and then go about one-fifth through the video. He starts talking about Numbers. And then he loses it.

Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment