Thursday, October 29, 2009

D'Ya Miss Me?

Well, hello there blog! It's officially been six days since I've updated. I know you feel neglected. I'm sorry. Work, laziness, exhaustion and DVR have been kicking my butt lately. You know that DVR. He's a real workhorse.

Anyhoo. I really have nothing to say at this point of the day because well volleyball and cross country advances as well as SAAC (Student Athlete-Advisory Committee) meetings have completely sucked the words right out of my head. Not to mention that concentration has completely run away from me and I can't for the life of me seem to get the little booger to come back. It's a tough world without concentration, folks.

So, as I usually do when I have nothing else to write about, I'm just going to post one of those blog listy-survey type things.

Enjoy reading about things that you probably would otherwise not care about. And feel free to walk away from the computer at anytime due to the feeling of utter boredom that might overcome you. It's symbolic really.

1. Tell something about your favorite teacher.
I've had a few favorite teachers in my life. A lot in high school and just a few in college (props to Karyn Brown). However there are two from high school that will always hold a special place in my heart -- Coach Rob(inson) and Mr. Avalon.

Coach Rob taught me 10th grade World History. This guy made me love history, and that's a feat in itself. His style of teaching was unlike any other style I've ever known and his love for Christ exuded every day. In a public school system, where prayer was not aloud, he was bold enough to give us a bible verse to memorize as a bonus question for each test. His enthusiam about teaching made me enthusiastic about learning and he genuinely cared about each one of his students.

Mr. Avalon taught me AP English but I was privileged enough to spend two full years with him in journalism. This guy sparked my love for writing and creativity in a way that I cannot explain and he singled-handedly made me the most sarcastic and boldest person that I've ever been. He taught me how to write 10-12 page paper with exstravegant wordy language in one class and then taught me how to be creative and interesting through clear and concise writing in another. He is the reason that I'm doing what I am doing right now -- writing. And he always started every one of his senior English classes (the first class of every year) telling his students that they had one get out of jail free card to use on him and that was it. And he meant it. I still haven't had to use mine. Yet.

2. Tell about one pivotal moment in your life.
Yikes. I feel like I've had several pivotal moments in my life. Of course, I could always play the God card and say that the day that I was saved was the extreme pivotal moment in my life and that would be exactly right. I could also talk about that one morning that I just woke up and realized that I didn't need a certain friend in my life anymore. But I will say that getting "the call" from my sister one day saying that I needed to come home because my dad was in the hospital had to have been one of the most pivotal moments in my life. That day, that weekend, I learned to lean not on my own understanding for what seemed like the first time in my life. The weird mix of peace and confusion that I had was surreal but at the end of the day, I knew that my God reigned and that this was just another battle that he had conquered on His own.

3. About favorite colors -- a lot of people will ask you what it is, but why. What feeling or memory does it evoke.
This may come as no surprise for most people that read this blog. And it's completely and genuinely true. Maroon is my favorite color. It evokes feelings of pride and excitement in me that really not a lot of things can. It recalls memories of great wins and awful losses, sitting through scortching temperatures and frigid ones, rain and tornadoes until the last second has run off the clock. It causes my heart and soul to swell up with pride that I had fallen in line of a great family legacy and become a MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOG!

4. What is a sure sign that you are getting older?
Lately, I would say forgetfulness because y'all, that has become my demon recently. But I would have to say worry. I'm not the worrying kind but I feel like I worry more now than I did when I was little. I know it's because I know more now than I did then.

5. Halloween -- it is a yes or a no for you (don't sermonize)?
Give or take with me. It's no Thanksgiving or Christmas or Easter or 4th of July (all coincide with athletic events or some kind of fancy parade), but it has its moments. To me, I'm not a big dress up and go party person (sometimes I am) but I L-O-V-E carving pumpkins. It's the creativity bug. And don't forget the candy.

6. What is your favorite musical?
Hands down, Wicked. I have no words to explain. I get misty-eyed just thinking about "Defying Gravity". And now I'm going to have to go lock myself in my car and sing it at the top of my lungs.

7. Are you more of city mouse or a country mouse?
I would love to say I'm a little of both but my trip to NYC this summer proved that I'm more city than I am country. Given the boldness to live in a place like the Big Apple for a while, I think I'd do just fine.

8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star foryou, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95, we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
We first of all, I'd never actually say something like that to someone. I'd think it. But I wouldn't say it. After all, I am a Southern girl. Anyway, my best friend in high school had a guy do this for her and although I acted like it was sweet at the time, I thought it was kind of weird-o. However, I can appreciate the act and the thought that go into it. But I'm more of a tangible girl, stuff you can touch. Like food. Now there's a good gift.

9. What is the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it?
I've texted while on the elliptical before. That's a crazy as it gets for me, folks.

10. It's not a party unless ____________________."
It's not a party unless you have Lisa Hart there playing Mad Gab. That's when things get rowdy, people.

11. When you are stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? (P.S. There are no magazines available.)
True story from the three-hour roadside wait: I pull out my iTouch and start playing games or a pull out the camera and document the occassion, thinking this will make such a great blog post later.

12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
Seriously? Why wouldn't I want to be friends with me. I'm my own friend now.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with chronic forgetfulness too. But I will never forget you for being the one lone brave commenter on Annie's post about my blog. You will forever be my hero!

    Drama finished. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to hanging out online.

    ReplyDelete