Monday, October 5, 2009

I'll Let Them Do The Talking

Saturday night, I went to see needtobreathe at Workplay Theatre here in Birmingham with my friend Nicole.

I'm sad to report that I don't have photographic documentation because I couldn't find my point-and-shoot when I left the house and I didn't want to be the nerd with my honkin' Canon Rebel out at the concert (which I later found out that I wouldn't have been, but I digress.). Still good times were had by all.

Turns out that I didn't need photographic documentation because seeing them wasn't the highlight of the night. Hearing them was. Hearing lyrics that so clearly proclaimed dependence on Christ. Now, a few of their song are secular and fun and catchy, but the majority of them share a statement of truth that all we need is found in Christ.

The band sang one of my favorite songs about halfway through the set. It was kind of funny, because it seemed as though the set took an interesting turn away from fun and groovy to transparent and spiritual. And as they sang this song that, the surroundings of the bar-type atmosphere completely fell away, and there was some serious hand raising and glorifying, if you know what I mean.

The chorus states:

Yahweh, Yahweh,
Great is Your glory when You go before me.
Oh, we sing,
Holy, Holy,
Your ways are lovely, so high above me,
Yahweh.

And the truth to those words became more apparent to me than before.

The lyrical blessings continued, with two more songs from those guys, and then the next day at church.

So, instead of writing a bunch of jabber here in this little corner of cyberspace, I thought I'd let my lyrical buddies do the talking, and I'd share some of the words that touched me this weekend.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Even if the Earth crumbles under my feet,
Even if the ones I love turn around and crucify me.
I won’t never ever let you down.
I won’t fall,
I won’t fall,
I won’t fall as long as you’re around me.

Even when the rain falls,
Even when the flood starts rising,
Even when the storm comes,
I am washed by the water.

- "Washed By The Water", needtobreathe
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hey now, this is my desire,
Consume me like a fire'
Cause I just want
Something beautiful to touch me.
I know that I'm in reach
'Cause I am down on my knees
And waiting for Something beautiful.

- "Something Beautiful", needtobreathe
--------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death;
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

This, the pow’r of the cross:
Son of God—slain for us.
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross.

- "The Power of the Cross", Keith Getty and Stuart Townsend

(FYI, I'm going back this Thursday to see Dave Barnes, and you better believe I'll have ye olde camera with me. If only to capture just a bit of the hilarity that is Dave Barnes, the comedian/musician.)

No comments:

Post a Comment