Monday, February 4, 2008

Weekend Wrap-Up

Well, my Mstate Bulldogs failed once more, and again, the comeback is too little too late. We have got to start playing smart ball or we aren't going to accomplish the things that we want to accomplish. Playing "Jamont Gordon ball" doesn't work all the time. Don't get me wrong. I love the kid. I have ever since I met him on a recruiting visit. Sweet kid. But just because you're the star doesn't mean you have to have the ball the whole time and it doesn't mean we have to play 90-to-nothing streetball either. At least Ole Miss lost. Again. But somebody has GOT to shut Arkansas up. We are going to lose our top spot if we can't get them at home.

Anyway, my Samford Bulldogs did pretty well. Our beat the conference No. 1 in a double OT barn-burner. It was actually a little annoying. Ha! Our guys finally got another win at home despite some great players being out with injuries, but it gave some of our young guys a chance to step it up and shine.

Eli won the Super Bowl. Boo! But I do have to say, they deserved it. I'll give credit where credit is due and an Eli played an incredible game. He was on, his line was on, the defense was on, and Tom Terrific and the Pats were NOT. I was rooting for the Pats not because I'm a Boston fan (which I am) and root for every Boston team (because I don't, I'm not a Belichick fan at all) but because a) Tom Brady is one fine piece of man, 2) I think it would have been great to see a team make go undefeated and make history, and III) Eli Manning is not on my list of favorites. However, you gotta give to the Giants, they KILLED it. Plus, Mississippi State alum Kevin Dockery is a Super Bowl champ and who doesn't love the name Plaxico. I do. Talk about being named on the subway.

And can I mention again how much I love my church? I do. It's amazing. My pastor preaches THE WORD and he is not afraid to throw some things in your face and challenge your lifestyle by any means. I love that. Because who else is gonna do it if he doesn't. There is not one Sunday that I don't leave that place convicted, thinking what a retched person I am and it is only by the amazing grace of God that I breathe in and out everyday. How amazing is God's love for us that he sent his Son to die so that we can be free from the very things that we fear today. We don't have to be afraid of sin and think that we are so imprisoned by it because Christ has defeated it and only through him and is strength and salvation are we able to overcome that sin. God is good! Amen?

I'm in the choir at church and our choir is not a typical choir. We don't sing every Sunday. We sing probably once a month and I don't think that there is one person in that choir that could not get up and sing a solo. The sound is so good. But singing isn't the only reason I love being in the choir. I love being able to stand up there and watch the Holy Spirit move through the crowd of people. See, at my church, we rock out. We do. There's no getting around. But we aren't a church that people go to because the music is great. I mean we are, but that's not the only reason. It's just great to watch how people respond to God's presence in worship. It's so fun to watch people as they jump up and down and raise their hand and kneel down and clap and sway and dance. (And no I do go to a pentacostal church. We are nondenominational/baptist.) See, I used to think that people were crazy when they did all the afore mentioned things. But I wasn't really seeing it for what it was worth. I mean there are times when I can't help but to lift my hands in response to what God has done for me. There are times when I can help but clap and dance a little bit in my place because I'm so excited about what I'm singing about. That's what it's all about. Responding in worship to what is in your heart, whether it's joy or pain. That's what God wants, and we do it corporately to lift one another up, to encourage and support.

Ok, so this post is longer than I thought it would be. Oops. I guess I got on my soapbox a little. Well...until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment