Thursday, August 28, 2008

Are You Ready For Some Football?!?!?!?!

Ladies and Gentlemen. It has creeped upon me again but football season is upon us. And volleyball season...and cross country season...and soccer season. This is the day that my life officially is not my own anymore. It is, for the next nine and a half months...or at least until Christmas...surrendered to the sports gods. I will no longer be able to go on a whim and do something fun. Why, I have to schedule things three months in advance and it has to work around the Samford Athletics composite schedule including dates and times for around 12 different sports. So long life. See you in May. Don't have too much fun without me.

It didn't hit me until I was greeted this morning my a nice little email from Christopher including a few small words: "It's gameday! Five o'clock cannot come fast enough."

Really 5:00? How about 11:00 p.m.? That's when I'll be heading home. Actually, how about May? That's when things will finally start winding down. At least he gets to sit on his couch and eat a steak and watch football from the comfort of his own living space. I get to sit in a cramped press box, answering a phone with one hand, running a copy machine with the other hand, all while trying to explain to a first-year female student worker why those guys in the blue jerseys are running through the grass with the brown oversized egg thingy and why those other guys have to be so mean when they try to stop him. Really. This is my life for the next few months.

Oh, but all is not lost because with football season comes volleyball season and road trips (when football is not home) and free meals. Over the past two years, I've come to love the sport of volleyball. I hated it prior to my coming to Samford. It's actually and interesting sport and pretty intense. (t's even more fun when you add sand and let only two people play. But that's another blog for another day.) Not only do I get to visit a new city and college campus just about every other week, I get a free hotel room and free meals at places like Olive Garden and Cracker Barrel and Ruby Tuesday. Yum. Yum. Yum.

I'm actually looking forward to this volleyball season since I've gotten to know the girls and the new coaches and we are supposed to be pretty good this year.

However, the highlight of my year will undoubtedly be the one MSU game that I MIGHT get to go to. The Auburn game. I really don't care who we play, as long as I get to see my DAWGS play, but it's even more fun to watch us play another SEC and be surrounded by friends. I hope that the DAWGS will back up their goals this year and be headed to another bowl game in December. (Just not on December 29th because I have a basketball game to work. See how my life is?)

Anyway, I'll leave you with a few snapshots of our football campaign for this season. The company that did it is playing on the fact that we are a private Christian school. It's pretty clever if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment