Thursday, August 14, 2008

Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day...

I blogged about this a couple of months ago I think but I can't help but blog about it again. Death has yet again reared its ugly head. Not for me personally, but for a few people in my circle. I don't know if I just become more aware of it as I get older if it really is coming faster and faster now.

A few days ago one of our football players, who also plays baseball, lost his mother and his grandmother in the same day. That's tough. He's a two-sport athlete about to start his junior year of college, and he's hit with this. That's hard. I pray for his strength through this and that he sees the glorious handprints of God as he walks this hard road. Praise God that he has coaches and friends that will pray for him and with him and just speak truth into this situation.

Also our head athletic trainer's brother is battling cancer and has been on the brink of death for the past couple of days. It's heart-breaking watching a family member being eaten away by cancer and knowing that there is nothing you can do about it...except pray. I pray for peace for the family, knowing that most of them have been preparing for this stage for a while and glorifying God that he will soon be completely whole and untouchable by any sickness.

We have to just thank God that everything we face, even death, has been conquered by Christ and we can know that if we have accepted the amazing grace of God and believe in what he has done for us and confess that Christ is Lord of our lives and build that relationship with him, that our fate is sealed and we have eternal glory in heaven awaiting us.

Death is a bittersweet thing for me. I often miss those I've lost, but I'm quickly reassured of where they are and who they are with and I'm instantly jealous and become homesick for heaven. It only spurs me on to listen intently to God revealing his plan for my life and strive daily to be the person he wants me to be and to do the things he wants me to do, especially making disciples of all nations.

I think that is why I've become restless with my job. I'm not seeing the potential that I have right in front of my face. I pray that I will focus on what God has in store for me right here in Birmingham and then have a willing heart to do what he wants me to do.

"We do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." - 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment