Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Burnin' Down The House!

Saturday I drove to Memphis to meet Casey and Dane and their neighbor Justin for the Dave Matthews concert at Autozon Park. I've been looking forward to this Casey bought our tickets three hours after they went on sale and was way pumped to actually get there.

The concert started at 7 p.m. so we left the hotel at about 6:30 to walk about a block and half to catch the trolly. Festive, right? Not so much. It was way too hot. 101 degrees, too hot. We hadn't gotten half a block and we were all dripping sweat, not to mention Casey had blisters on the bottom of her feet from her new Rainbow flops. It was miserable.

We finally got to the trolly stop, after two trollies had passed us on the way and thought there would be no problem getting a trolly. Wrong again. After waiting 20 minutes, we flagged a cab down to take us the two miles to the park, but not before we had to stop so the cabbie could fill his tank up. Meanwhile, Casey, Dane and I are crammed in the back of the cab, sweating profusely while the lovely engaged couple (Casey and Dane) argue about why we didn't just pay the 10 bucks to park at the venue. dane's argument was that it wasn't about the money. It was about having to wait to get out of the parking lot afterwards. I agreed, but I didn't say anything as I felt Casey's pain with the blisters. My plantar fascitis in my left foot was killing me. Curses! Anyway, little did we know, we'd be waiting forever anyway. (We ended up walking back the two miles back after the concert...well one and a half until Casey could walk anymore and Justin ran, literally ran, to the hotel to get the car. Thanks Justin.)

Anyway, we got there at 7:30 and Willie Nelson was opening. He was okay but I felt kind of bad because nobody was really paying attention...that is, until he starting playing "Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."

Around 8:30, Dave began and rocked it out for about three hours. Being my first Dave experience, I was wide-eyed the whole time. It was great! He's just so good and Carter Beauford has to be the most amazing drummer ever! I'm ready to see him again. He and Mac Powell from Third Day could take turns singing me to sleep every night.
Here are some pics below. They are kind of blurry but you get the picture. Casey and I opted not to take a picture after we had sweated all our makeup off and become a hot mess with drenched (seriously) clothes and bad, bad hair. We should have been smart and taken one before we left the hotel. But who knew, we would perspire so much. I'm confident we lost at least 10 pounds.

Dave starting




No comments:

Post a Comment