Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sunday's Post #1 (Samford Baseball Edition)

So today is not only Mother's Day, it's my Blogoversary. I just realized this. I'm throwing a party right now. Or I would be. If only my city-wide search for cookie cake had been successful today. Because everyone knows that no party is a real party without cookie cake. It's just a fact of life.

Anyway, that's a whole 'nother post for a whole 'nother day.

This day has had enough action of it's own.

Today was the very last baseball game of the year and oh my word, at the emotional bittersweetness of this day. And y'all, this was the last sporting event on our campus until August 28, 2009.

It's a fact that I didn't go to a lot of baseball games when I was in college. I did in high school, especially my sophomore year because I dated the center fielder. Anywho. But I definitely think that I attended more baseball games my last year in Starkville (grad school year) than I did in my four years put together in undergrad.

And it is a fact that I've attended more Samford baseball games this year than I have in the last two years combined. But it's also a fact that one of my new bfries does marketing for baseball and I've gotten to know several of the players really well also. Precious kids. So obviously I wanted to go cheer my new little bros on. And it also helps that I got to work on my tan in the meantime.

Anyway, so today was Senior Day and oh, how I'm going to miss three out of the five of those kids. (No hard feelings against the other two. I just don't know them that well.)

Although we were there for nine hours, and we got beat 16-3, and lost our chances of making the tournament (and all them are right now saying please stop talking about this), it was a fun day overall and a great way to end the season.

We were in a rain delay for about four hours. At noon, the monsoons came and forced us to put the game on hold for about two hours. We all left to go eat lunch and returned to, well, more rain. As always, boys will be boys. They all returned with play clothes in hand and after a quick change, the slipping and sliding on the tarp commenced, as documented below.


No one players were hurt in the process of fun-having.

Anyway, so after the rains stop and the sun came out, play commenced and we got our hineys handed to us on a silver platter. 

But the game ended with my favorite player, our best closer, batting. If you know nothing about baseball, pitchers don't bat. It's just never a good thing. The coach decided to let him go bat and he ran the count full...and then struck out. But that is a moment that that kid will never forget and I am so thankful that our coach let it happen. 

I don't know what I'm going to do for the next four months with no sporting events to cover or plan for or score or attend. I know I've done this for the past few years, but this year is different somehow.

I've become more invested in the lives of these kids and it's hard to see them go. This year has had it's ups and downs. Major downs. Downs that have made me question why I am doing what I'm doing. But so many times in the last few months, God has shown me why. And today was one of those times. 

I can see clearly now the rain is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment