Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Happy Holidays

Today is my holiday from doing work. I'm about to leave in an hour to go to a volleyball match in Chattanooga, and I've decided that since I'll be working all night long, that I don't have to do any work AT work today. So, I'm just going to blog.

My calendar says today is Yom Kippur. To all my Jewish readers, "have an easy fast" as they say. It started me thinking about holidays and what random national holidays there are out there. I did a little google search (remember, I'm on a work AT work strike today), and I found some doozies for October. There's a list of monthly holidays, weekly holidays and then daily holidays. I'll share my favs. And along the way, I found this cool blog.

Did you know that October is:
- Adopt A Shelter Dog Month (geez, I wish I had time for a dog)
- Celebrate Sun Dried Tomatoes Month (this one is for you, Dad)
- Celebrate Bilingual Child Month
- Church Library Month AND Church Safety and Security Month
- Gay and Lesbian History Month (there's a history?)
- National Bake and Decorate Month (Bethany and I could have so much fun with this. If only we lived closer.)
- National Go On A Field Trip Month (I think I'm going to propose an observation of this at my office.)
- National Rolling Skating Month
- National Sarcastic Awareness Month (I'm aware.)
- National Seafood Month (I shall be observing this.)
- Pastor (Clergy Appreciation Month (I appreciate you, Bubba (Ross).)
- Photographer Appreciation Month (Yay for Ann Wade!)
- Raptor Month
- Squirrel Awareness Month
- Self-Promotion Month

This week is:
Oct. 2-9: No Salt Week (I broke this yesterday.)
Oct. 4-10: World Space Week
Oct. 5-11: National Work From Home Week (I wish!), Emergency Nurses Week, Fire Prevention Week, The Magic of Differences Week, Mental Illness Week, Mystery Series Week, National Carry A Tune Week (this one's for you, Mom and Anna! Use it in class!), National Metric Week, Nuclear (new-clear) Medicine Week

Today is:
- Alvin C. York Day
- Cosmopolite Day (This is pretty sweet.)
- International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction
- International Top Spinning Day (YES!)
- National Bring Your Teddy Bear To Work & School Day (Why did I not know about this? Spitball (my baseball bear) could have been introduced to the world of sports info.)
- Native Americans' Day

October 31 is also a special holiday in my family. It's not just Halloween to us anymore. Last year, it became William's birthday. I'm so sad that I can't be there this year to celebrate the first birthday. (Darn work!) However, I know he's going to look so cute and have so much fun and I can't wait to come home and play with all of his toys, especially the Ball Popper, courtesy of Auntie KK.

P.S. Say a special prayer for the boy next Monday, Oct. 13. Little Boo has to get tubes put in his ears and I'm sure it's not going to be pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment