Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Join the club...

So I've been pretty convicted lately about my service and my giving. I've wanted to give to an organization for a while but it was so hard for me to commit to on an intern's salary. When I finally got my big girl job, one of the things I said I was going to do was start giving and serving more. I'd promised myself that I was going to give to some charitable organization but kept putting it off until today. Today I took the plunge and joined this, the Mocha Club. It's an organization that is helping build Africa from within through monetary donations that go toward causes such as education, orphan care, HIV/AIDS, child mothers, job creation and Sudan regrowth.

Africa has been on my heart recently, as has been Honduras (since my visit there) and now Cuba, which is probably devastated by Hurricane Ike.

(Sidenote: Archie, one of my friends from our Honduras trip (he was our videographer and is actually from Venezuala), told a group of us one day about his heart for Cuba. His dream, and near-future reality, is to go to Cuba and lead a group to do mission work down there and get some discipleship in the works down there. Lord knows they need it.)

Anyway, since Dave Barnes promoted this at the first show I went to, it's been on my mind every since. I said to myself, and I think to Casey, that once I get a big girl check I'm actually going to start giving to this. I know it's $7 a month and I should have been able to give it up when I was on the intern salary but I'm just showing my selfish ways.

Anyway, if your heart is telling you to start giving, please check out my team at the Mocha Club by going to this link and let me know if you want to join by commenting and ask me to send you an invite. Or create your own team if you want to give to another cause. I won't be disappointed. I might even join your team too! You join mine, I'll join yours. (All little "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" action.) And it's easy to give. You give them your credit/debit care number and they take $7 out on the 15th of every month.
I wanted to give to more than one cause because so many of them mean so much to me but I had to just pick one. I chose education because it's just been a big part of my family. Both my parents are educators and now my sister has joined the ranks as well. Education is huge and is crucial for these kids on the road of life. Plus, it's fun. Yep. I said it. Learning is fun. I do it every day.

Anyway, so if you so feel called, join my team, Spreadin' the Love, because that's what we are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment