Thursday, September 25, 2008

Name That Person

Disclaimer: This post was constructed over a three-hour period, inbetween work assignments and numerous distractions. It starts as one thing and randomly segues into another. I apologize in advance for the randomness of it all, but I hope you get something out of it, even if it is a chuckle.

Or should I say, nickname that person. This is my favorite game. I love to shorten, lengthen and nickname people. I'm not really sure why.

I think possibly it's because when I was little, and even now, I had more nicknames than pennies in my piggy bank. Here are some examples of past and present nicknames (I'm probably just setting myself up for this but most were fun and some I still answer to so what the hey): Katina, Katie Jane, Bubbaette, Little Waldo, KK, Kate, Kate-Mo, K-k-k-katie, Katie-did, Katie-loo, Buddy, Katie Moldoon, Shorty, G-money, Katers, Katester, Cap'n Katie...and the list goes on.

So recently I've realized (I think I've realized a lot recently according to my blogs lately) that I have this thing where I give people nicknames, by either shortening, lengthening or making up names for people. Examples? Ok.

Co-worker Zac: Zac Attack
Former co-worker Ben: Benji
Co-worker Michelle Durban: Durbs (I have to give B-Fri aka Bryan Friday credit for this one) or Meesh (Again, credit goes to Courtney Gay)
Roommate Kelly: Kel
Best friend Bethany: Beffie, Beffers
Best friend Lauren Brown: LB or Brownie (younger days)
Kyle: Kylie
Chris: Christopherson
Andrew: Andydrew, Drewballa, Drew
Cousin Emily: Em
Sister Anna: Sister, very rarely Anna now
Bro-in-law Ross: Bubba
Nephew William: Will, Billy Chuck, Pooter, Buddy, Willam, Chubbs, Little Man
Stephanie Powell: Steph, Stuff or Stuffaluficus
Bonnie Scafidel: Bonnie Binapple
(And the list goes on)

Anyway, I'm just partial to nicknames. I think it's the laziness in me. Or the creativeness. Either way, it's become a game for me.

My full name is Katherine Jane Walden. Middle name is my mom's real first name and Katherine, well my mom says I just looked like a Katherine, more so, Katie. Good thing, because was going to be Virginia (yeah, like the state), up until I was born. They were going to call me Ginny. I just don't see myself as a Ginny. Do you? Not so much? Thought so.

I'm glad they named me what they did. I love my name. It wasn't soooo trendy back then, and it's a little southern classic as well. It was kind of cool to be the only Katie in school until I went to college. And Katherine is just...sophisticated.

However, back in the day, when I was younger, I wasn't a big fan of being called "Katherine". Really? I was a spunky 5-year-old bossing all the boys around in my class. That just doesn't fit the name "Katherine" to me. Up through middle school, on the first day of class, when teachers would call the roll, they would get to the W's and yell out, "Katherine Walden?" Chuckles around the class would rise as they knew what the response would be. "Here/Present, and it's Katie." (In my ever-so respectful yet stern way.)

I always thought "Katherine" was just so formal. It didn't fit my personality at the time. I think I'm growing into it though. "Katie", however, fit me to a T. It's a spunky name (in my opinion), and I was spunky (I like to think).

I wasn't a big fan of the formal (Katherine) until I went to the "Palaces of St. Petersburg" exhibit at the art museum in Jackson when I was in sixth grade (I think). See, there was this queen. I don't remember much about her except that her name was Katherine (or Catherine) the Great. Nice ring to it, huh? Not many other people can say that about their name except for those guys Alexander and Peter and that other guy Ivan. Oh, wait. That was Ivan the Terrible. Sorry, dude. Tough luck.

Anyway, I began to think, "If this chick can be "the Great", so can I, right?"

So, turns out Ol' Kat wasn't such a good person from the looks of it, but that doesn't mean I can be stopped from being "great", right?

I have to say, I'm far from being great by any means, but I do strive to be great everyday. And by great, I mean make a difference in which God gets the glory, not me. I'm sure I complain a lot. However, I do try to have a positive outlook on things. Things are not always as bad as they seem and if they are, it can always be worse. I just try not to worry about things so much (Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:5-7). I can't really control what happens. That's what God does. And to tell you the truth, it kind of gives me a sense of peace, knowing that I don't have to worry about how everything is going to work.

So, folks, from now on, I'd like to be referred to as "Katherine the Great." No, just kidding. But I think a crown would bring out the blue in my eyes a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment