Monday, December 15, 2008

Are you trying to make a point, Sir?

(I know. I know. Two posts in two hours. I couldn't help it. This has been on my heart for a while.)

There are two songs that have been on mad circulation on my iPod lately. They are both titled, "Yahweh". Well, actually one is titled, "He Is Exalted," but in the parentheses next to the title it says Yahweh.

("Yahweh" is by Shawn McDonald and "He Is Exalted" is by Chris Tomlin, my favorite person right now. Google the lyrics to both of these songs. They hit right to the heart and bring you to your knees.)

We sing the latter at church quite frequently and most of the time brings me to tears or makes me want to fall on my face in adoration of who GOD is. The other I mistakenly downloaded because I thought it was the latter and instantly fell in love with it as well.

Recently, this name of GOD has been showing up everywhere for me. Literally and figuratively. I think GOD is really trying to make a point with this in my life. I hear it often, when I rarely did previously, and GOD just keeps showing himself to me as YAHWEH.

YAHWEH means He is the LORD. (Exodus 3:14-15, 6:2-8, 20:1-3, Isaiah 43:10-13, Jon 8:58, Acts 2:38)

In the Old Testament faith, under the old covenant with Moses, the people of GOD confessed Him as LORD. In the New Testament faith, under the new covenant with GOD's people, we confess Christ as LORD.

So what does this name of GOD reveal? The LORD emphasizes...
...GOD's personality (Hosea 3:1-5). His love never fails. It is unending. It is undconditional. There is nothing we can do to make him love us more or less. His pleasure is not based on our performance. If you have never read Redeeming Love, especially you girls, this book gives an amazing picture of this.
...GOD's goodness (Exodus 34:4-7). This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. It is when GOD reveals himself to Moses on the mountain. He describes himself to Moses as "slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands". That's some kind of goodness.
...GOD's powers (Isaiah 46:3-4). No matter what we go through, our highs and our lows, GOD sustains us. Through Him we can do anything (Philippians 4:13). He gives us whatever we need to do whatever He wants us to do. We just have to ask for it (James 1:5).
...GOD's authority (Leviticus 18:1-5). GOD rules over everything. He made everything. Have you ever wondered why it takes so much out of us to obey him when the sea and the birds and sun in the sky obey his every command with no questions asked? Of course, that's a whole different post right there but it's interesting to think about. We don't MAKE GOD lord over our lives. HE IS LORD. Point blank period. The question is "Have you SUBMITTED to His LORDSHIP?"
...GOD's presence (Deuteronomy 4:7-8). We are so blessed to have a God that loves us so much that he comes running when we cry out to him just like a mother or father runs to her/his child. Whatever we ask, we receive. As long as it aligns with his will. Our prayer should be that the desires of our heart are his desires for each one of us so that we can take delight in knowing him more and more each day (Psalm 34:7).

In everything do we, everything trial that we face, we MUST remember that Jesus is LORD over everything. It's under his control and we will be blessed from it, no matter how devastating it is, if we keep our eyes on him. If we look for his fingerprints and meditate on his Word, He will reveal himself to us as the GOD we need at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment