Wednesday, December 17, 2008

When In Doubt...Check Facebook.

So I stumbled upon this article today that was published like a year ago. It's funny. And so true.

It's about how, for many young adults, especially college students, a relationship isn't really a relationship until it's been confirmed on Facebook.

Most of you know what I'm talking about. It's not legit until you've changed your status to "in a relationship", "engaged", "married" or even "it's complicated" (which makes no sense to me whatsover).

I've often found out my friends were in relationships (or engaged) through Facebook. I'm guessing that's the line of communication these days (or a tell-tale sign that I'm not a very good friend).

"Don't bother telling anyone. They'll find out when we confirm it on Facebook anyway."

And what happens when your status changes to "single". The resounding, yet silent/make-believe sound, the "duhn duhn duuuuuuhn" rings loud and clear and immediately the questions start pouring in.

"What happened?"

"Why the change?"

"Trouble in LoveLand?"

And what if you are the requester of the relationship and you get rejected? I mean, I guess it's comforting to know that at least the whole world doesn't take notice until it's in bright blue or scrolls onto the news feed (but at least it doesn't say, rejected).

Many people try to cheat the system. They just don't fill in the blank. It's probably a good call for those of fickle mind, but I had a friend who tried this very thing. He was listed as single and then, all of a sudden, for some reason, was "no longer listed as single". (See this is where the news feed gets you.) As expected, the questions start pouring in, and in his own illusive way, dodged the question until eventually, it had been confirmed on Facebook. Of course, being his friend, I found out before Facebook did, but such is the situation.

It's sad when technology has the final say in our lives, well, at least our relationships. The world is truly coming to an end. Well, at least it will when I can no longer log onto Facebook.
Oh, and FYI...

1 comment:

  1. Katie!!! How in the world are you?? It seems like you are a blogging guru - I wasn't even sure which one to leave a comment on!
    Yes, I am in medical school in Jackson - third year and it consumes my life. What are you up to these days?
    p.s. Baylor was so much fun!
    amanda

    ReplyDelete