Saturday, November 28, 2009

We're All In This Together

I'm channeling High School Musical.

No, really. I experienced two things today that really made me think about this thing we call "the world" and what humanity really is.

The first...

The large certified can of Whoop-Yo-Butt Mississippi State put on Ole Miss today to bring that sweet little (ahem...big) golden egg back home to Starkville. Y'all, work in athletics and I work game days which means I don't get to cheer a lot so in a way, I've sort of become desensitized to the yelling and screaming of it all because well, I'm forbidden to do all the yelling and screaming because I'm expected to be an unbiased professional at the "workplace".

However, when I get home, away from all the professionalism, and close to my rowdy fan of a mother, I tend to get rowdy myself. And today, I'm pretty sure I shredded my vocal chords on that last pick-six by Corey Broomfield. That sweet kid played three quarters with a separated shoulder, y'all. All to bring me that Golden Egg.

Anyway, this is why it's good to be a college football fan. You end up celebrating with complete strangers. After the game, you're at Lowe's. You get out of the car and are greeted by other State fans, yelling, "Go Dawgs!" You're at the movies. A lady notices the shirt you're wearing and asks who won. You give her the news and what does she say? "That's just like Ole Miss to lose." Ha.

The second...

I went to see 2012 at the movies with the parental units this afternoon after the Egg Bowl. I was afraid of how this movie would turn out. I was hoping it would be a little more than ohmygoodnesstheworldisending. And I should've known that these kinds of movies always have a moral to the story.

To paraphrase what one of the characters said towards the end of the movie, humanity isn't sacrificing others lives for the sake of our own. It's caring for each other in this thing we called life.

So, what is the big epiphany that I came away with today?

It is this.

In triumph or tribulation, we, humankind, come together at the end of the day. That's why it's called humankind. Human. Kind. Kind. Human. We care for each other. We share this thing called life. Together. Whether we like it or not.

Because we are human. We can't help but care for each other.

Ain't that just like God to make us care for each other and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment