Tuesday, December 15, 2009

12 Things In 11 Days

I had this grand idea to do 12 things I love about the Christmas season in the 12 days leading up to Christmas Day. One each day. Which would've meant that I needed to have had this little post up yesterday for it to be accurate but I seemed to have lost my time management skills in all the excitement of having the day off from work yesterday and well, here I am.

So I shall do 12 things in 11 days and today you get a double-doozy. The post. Not the cookie cake.

These are either things that I love about the holidays are that I HAVE. TO. HAVE. for it to actually feel like the holidays for me.

Thing #1:

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

This is the official start to my holiday season. It doesn't matter when I start listening to Christmas music or what day I start decorating, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is the official kick-off to the Christmas season for me.

I was a tradition for my sister and I to get up early and watch the whole parade through. Our favorite part is the Rockettes, of course, although we also love the Broadway features.

Although my sister and I are grown, and she has her own family now, we both still get up and watch the parade, with a full recap of the whole thing as soon as we get together for Thanksgiving dinner.

There's nothing like seeing the "Big Man" Kris Kringle closing out that grand ol' holiday tradition to get you in the Christmas spirit.

Thing #2:

FBC Jackson's Carols By Candlelight


Ever since I can remember, Carols By Candlelight has been around. This year was actually the 40th anniversary of the program and I can't believe it's been that long.
I remember going as a little girl and being amazed by the story that was told. I know that millions of lives have been changed by this yearly display of the story of the Christ child. I've only heard a few stories but they are still enough to know that this is not just a yearly tradition -- it is a church's mission to spread the gospel to all ends of the earth.

When my family joined this church in 2003, my mom joined the choir (of course) and jumped right into Carols By Candlelight. She's been a part of special singing groups and has also sung several solos in past six years. It's so great to be able to see my mom using her talent to declare the glory of God in such an incredible way.


So there are your first two things of 12.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions? What gets you in the Christmas spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment