Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Feelin' Funky

Ok, I am officially in a serious funk. Jesus, Lord, help me get out of it. Shine some sunshine in my life and help me realize that I am in a very good situation, considering, and that things could be much, much, much worse.

Self-pity is a BEE-otch. (Sorry, mom.)

There is something major going on I must address here.

I have to say that my heart hurt little when I heard the new of John Travolta's son's death. I don't know these people from Adam, but I have lost a family member unexpectedly and it is not something I would wish on my most hated enemy (of which I don't believe I have at all). The questions and confusion that comes along with it is both overwhelming and exhausting.

It is said that the 16-year-old died due to a seizure which was just one effect of Kawasaki disease, an illness that can lead to inflamed blood vessels, that the young man had suffered from since the age of two (can you tell I've done my homework? Just you wait.)

However, this is the part that struck me hard. Jett Travolta's mom, Kelly Preston has blamed household cleaners and fertilizers for the condition and said a detoxification program based on teachings from the Church of Scientology helped improve his health, according to People magazine.

(Follow the link to learn more about Scientology. It's Wikipedia. The end-all and be-all of modern research.)

I don't know a lot about Scientology, so I can't judge. What I can do it state my beliefs, the belief in one true God.

Wikipedia says Scientologists hold a common belief that psychiatry and psychology are destructive and abusive fields, which much be abolished.

I say leave well enough alone and to each his own. If psychiatry and psychology were destructive and abusive, then there are some very close friends that I should be worried about. I've seen friends over the years who were destructive and abusive themselves (or were involved in those types of relationships with family members or significant others) and psychiatry and psychology, along with a whole heap of prayer, were the ONLY thing that saved them.

From my point of very, these two methods of medicine (psychiatry and psychology) are very much a way of processing thoughts and feelings as well as figuring out what chemical effects of the body have on the brain and the nervous system. Don't quote me though. I was a broadcasting and PR major. I can't quote the periodic table, but beware of my editor's eye and strong need to correct news, sports and pop culture facts. But I digress.

Anyway, my point is, I'm going to prayer very hard for the Travolta family. First, for their loss because that is extremely hard. But more importantly for their immense need to see God work in their lives. I pray that God will show himself as ruler of the universe, healer and destroyer of all things evil and maybe even most importantly, a loving, forgiving, protective, passionate, can-live-without-us-but-doesn't-want-to God who pursues a deep and meaningful relationship with us all and chose us to be his before we were even one atom.

There may not be undisputable/irrefutable evidence (as they say in the NCAA and NFL rulebook) for the existance of one supreme being, but I've got evidence in my life that I am loved without a doubt by something bigger and more powerful that I could ever imagine being.

And you know what they say.

Faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment